Courtney Love Settles Defamation Suit With Money
Courtney Love has settled her defamation lawsuit with fashion designer Dawn Simorangkir for a reported $430,000. Simorangkir filed a lawsuit against the rocker in 2009 after claiming she was defamed in a series of messages Love posted on Twitter.com.
The fashion designer accused the Hole singer of ruining her business. Love insisted her online comments were opinion, and therefore protected under law. A trial was scheduled to begin in January but the two women have sorted out their differences.
Love has reportedly agreed to hand over a lump sum immediately and will make a series of payments over the next three years. Simorangkir's lawyer Bryan Freedman tells The Hollywood Reporter, "The amount of the settlement says it all. Her (Love) reprehensible defamatory comments were completely false and $430,000 is quite a significant way to say I am sorry. One would hope that, given this disaster, restraint of pen, tongue and tweet would guide Ms. Love's future conduct."
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris
- Khloe Kardashian Refuses to Attend Rob's Wedding, Says He's 'Full of Bulls**t'
- Lea Michele Teases 'Scream Queens' Season 2 With This Picture
- Ariel Winter Announces She's Single With Kim Kardashian Meme. See the Funny Clip!
- Watch Beyonce, Desiigner, Bryson Tiller Rock the 2016 BET Awards
- 'Finding Dory' Beats 'Independence Day: Resurgence' at Box Office
- Drake Gets Eighth Week at Billboard 200's No. 1, RHCP Starts at No. 2
- Photos: Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Hit the Beach in U.K. Joined by His Family