Mariah Carey Felt Embarrassed Over Muammar Gaddafi's Gig
Red-faced Mariah Carey has offered to hand over profits from her next single to a human rights charity after feeling "horrible and embarrassed" about performing a private concert for Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's family. Superstars including Beyonce Knowles and Nelly Furtado have handed over the $1 million fees they received for playing gigs at parties hosted by the dictator's son and entourage to charity in protest over the way the leader has handled the growing unrest in the Middle Eastern country.
Carey and Usher also faced calls for them to hand over their payments to charity, and now a rep for the "Hero" hitmaker has apologized and insisted the star had no clue she was playing for Gaddafi's clan when she accepted the concert deal. Carey has now pledged to hand over the profits of a new song from her upcoming album to a human rights charity.
Gaddafi has become one of the world's least popular leaders in recent weeks after refusing to give up power in Libya, despite ongoing protests. As a result, many nations have imposed sanctions on Libya in a bid to force the tyrant to listen to his people and resign from office.
More Mariah Carey News
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked