Mariah Carey Felt Embarrassed Over Muammar Gaddafi's Gig
Red-faced Mariah Carey has offered to hand over profits from her next single to a human rights charity after feeling "horrible and embarrassed" about performing a private concert for Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's family. Superstars including Beyonce Knowles and Nelly Furtado have handed over the $1 million fees they received for playing gigs at parties hosted by the dictator's son and entourage to charity in protest over the way the leader has handled the growing unrest in the Middle Eastern country.
Carey and Usher also faced calls for them to hand over their payments to charity, and now a rep for the "Hero" hitmaker has apologized and insisted the star had no clue she was playing for Gaddafi's clan when she accepted the concert deal. Carey has now pledged to hand over the profits of a new song from her upcoming album to a human rights charity.
Gaddafi has become one of the world's least popular leaders in recent weeks after refusing to give up power in Libya, despite ongoing protests. As a result, many nations have imposed sanctions on Libya in a bid to force the tyrant to listen to his people and resign from office.
More Mariah Carey News
- Jennifer Garner's New Pal Chelsea Handler Is Going After Ben Affleck
- 'Game of Thrones' Is Filming Fake Scenes
- Most Brutal Celebrity vs Paparazzi Fights
- Are 'Riverdale' Stars Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart Dating?
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp': Evangeline Lilly Reacts to Michelle Pfeiffer's Casting as Her On-Screen Mom
- Celebrity Police Unit to Be Discontinued Following Big Bang's T.O.P's Marijuana Scandal
- Cara Delevingne Says She Wants to Be James Bond Amid Bond Girl Rumors
- Johnny Depp Demands Claim He Has 'Psychological Issues' Removed From Court Record