Esperanza Spalding Recalled Justin Bieber's Fans Grammy Backlash
Jazz star Esperanza Spalding escaped the backlash from overzealous Justin Bieber fans after she beat the teen to the Best New Artist Grammy Award - because the newcomer jetted off to Japan straight after her big win. The little-known singer and bassist was a surprise winner at last month's ceremony, triumphing over more mainstream acts like Bieber and rapper Drake.
The Grammy upset prompted some angry Bieber fans to hit out at Spalding and attack her Wikipedia.com profile, posting nasty messages on the publicly-edited site. But Spalding admits she didn't experience the harsh criticism in person - because she was already halfway around the world when the news broke.
Speaking on U.S. talk show "The View" on Wednesday, March 2, she says, "I didn't (experience it in person), we were in Japan. I just heard about it, from friends and acquaintances, but I didn't see it or hear it and I don't think I missed much. And there was so much stuff happening, Justin Bieber and I weren't the only ones there."
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs
- Nicole Kidman Says She Was Too Young When She Married Tom Cruise
- Watch Trailer for 30 Seconds to Mars' 'Camp Mars: The Concert Film'