Esperanza Spalding Recalled Justin Bieber's Fans Grammy Backlash
Jazz star Esperanza Spalding escaped the backlash from overzealous Justin Bieber fans after she beat the teen to the Best New Artist Grammy Award - because the newcomer jetted off to Japan straight after her big win. The little-known singer and bassist was a surprise winner at last month's ceremony, triumphing over more mainstream acts like Bieber and rapper Drake.
The Grammy upset prompted some angry Bieber fans to hit out at Spalding and attack her Wikipedia.com profile, posting nasty messages on the publicly-edited site. But Spalding admits she didn't experience the harsh criticism in person - because she was already halfway around the world when the news broke.
Speaking on U.S. talk show "The View" on Wednesday, March 2, she says, "I didn't (experience it in person), we were in Japan. I just heard about it, from friends and acquaintances, but I didn't see it or hear it and I don't think I missed much. And there was so much stuff happening, Justin Bieber and I weren't the only ones there."
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
- Blac Chyna Believes That Rob Kardashian and Tyga Are Tag Teaming Against Her
- Saucy! Rita Ora Goes Braless as She Flashes Her Nipple Pasties in Sheer Top
- Little Mix Channels Inner Cowgirls in Music Video for 'No More Sad Songs' Ft. Machine Gun Kelly
- A Party Fit for Mother Monster! Get Details of Lady GaGa's Star-Studded Birthday Bash
- Jennifer Lawrence and Darren Aronofsky Are Getting More Serious, Despite Their 22-Year Age Gap
- Listen to Selena Gomez's Moody 'Only You' Cover for '13 Reasons Why'