Dr. Luke Hits Back at Bellamy Bros' Claim Over Britney Spears' Song
The songwriter behind Britney Spears' latest hit "Hold It Against Me" has taken 1970s country rockers The Bellamy Brothers to task over suggestions he stole the idea for the tune from their 1979 song "If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me".
Last month, singer David Bellamy accused Spears and her partner Lukasz 'Dr. Luke' Gottwald of "ripping off" the title of the song, insisting it was "too close" to their 1979 ballad. Bellamy stated he and his brother were considering their options and were in talks with lawyers over plagiarism claims.
He said, "We will without doubt take the appropriate legal action if our attorneys agree we've been ripped off. Surely there is more original stuff out there to do rather than rehash old titles." But Gottwald appears to have beaten the Bellamys to it - he has filed a federal lawsuit, stating the brothers launched a "smear campaign" by claiming the song he co-wrote was a knock-off.
The songwriter accuses the Bellamy Brothers of attacking him and Britney as part of "a publicity stunt aimed to increase their record sales". In addition to damages for defamation, Gottwald is demanding a court order declaring his song has nothing to do with the Bellamy Brothers hit, reports TMZ.com.
More Britney Spears News
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?