Rep: Beyonce Has Donated Gaddafi Funds to Charity Last Year
A publicist for Beyonce Knowles has silenced critics attacking the R&B superstar for accepting $1 million from Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi for a private concert by revealing the singer has already donated the funds to charity. The "Crazy In Love" hitmaker was one of the headliners at a 2009 New Year's Eve party hosted by the dictator's son, Muatassim Gaddafi, on the Caribbean island of St. Barts.
She came under increasing pressure to hand over her performance fee to a good cause last week as civil unrest grows in the Middle East. Other artists, including Usher, Nelly Furtado and Mariah Carey, who have all performed at gigs hosted by members of the Gaddafi family, have also faced calls to return their pay cheques.
Furtado announced on Monday, February 28 that she had become so appalled by the controversial Libyan leader's decision not to step down and give up power amid growing unrest in his country, she was planning to give her $1 million fee to charity. And now Beyonce's representative has moved to end the controversy telling the Associated Press the singer donated the cash to boost Haiti earthquake relief efforts more than a year ago.
Gaddafi has become a vilified character across the world with many countries, including the U.S., imposing sanctions on Libya in a bid to force the tyrant to listen to his people and resign from office.
More Beyonce Knowles News
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce