Rep: Beyonce Has Donated Gaddafi Funds to Charity Last Year
A publicist for Beyonce Knowles has silenced critics attacking the R&B superstar for accepting $1 million from Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi for a private concert by revealing the singer has already donated the funds to charity. The "Crazy In Love" hitmaker was one of the headliners at a 2009 New Year's Eve party hosted by the dictator's son, Muatassim Gaddafi, on the Caribbean island of St. Barts.
She came under increasing pressure to hand over her performance fee to a good cause last week as civil unrest grows in the Middle East. Other artists, including Usher, Nelly Furtado and Mariah Carey, who have all performed at gigs hosted by members of the Gaddafi family, have also faced calls to return their pay cheques.
Furtado announced on Monday, February 28 that she had become so appalled by the controversial Libyan leader's decision not to step down and give up power amid growing unrest in his country, she was planning to give her $1 million fee to charity. And now Beyonce's representative has moved to end the controversy telling the Associated Press the singer donated the cash to boost Haiti earthquake relief efforts more than a year ago.
Gaddafi has become a vilified character across the world with many countries, including the U.S., imposing sanctions on Libya in a bid to force the tyrant to listen to his people and resign from office.
More Beyonce Knowles News
- Celebrities Who Regret Getting Plastic Surgery
- JYJ's Park Yoochun's Fiancee Allegedly Wants to Break Off Engagement
- Kingsman Teams Up With Statesman in New 'The Golden Circle' Red Band Trailer
- Report: Lee Jong Suk to Enlist to Military Soon
- Birthday Girl Julianne Hough Ditches Bikini Top During Romantic Honeymoon
- Comic-Con: Pennywise the Clown Mutilates His Victims in 'It' New Trailer and Clips
- Halle Berry Chugs a Half Bottle of Whiskey at 'Kingsman 2' Comic-Con Panel
- Are Miranda Kerr and Husband Evan Spiegel Expecting a Baby?