John Galliano Facing Trial Over Anti-Semitic Remarks
Disgraced fashion designer John Galliano is to face a trial on charges of making anti-Semitic remarks after he was caught on tape talking about his "love" for infamous Adolf Hitler. Galliano was sacked as head designer at Christian Dior on Tuesday, March 1, following a police probe over allegations he abused two strangers in Paris, France, and was filmed praising Nazi tyrant Hitler. Now, French prosecutors have confirmed they plan to put Galliano on trial for making anti-Semitic remarks.
The news came less than an hour after the designer apologized to fans for the scandal, and denied the allegations against him. He also revealed he's now seeking "help" to address his personal problems. In a statement issued on Wednesday, March 2, Galliano says, "I must take responsibility for the circumstances in which I found myself and for allowing myself to be seen to be behaving in the worst possible light. I only have myself to blame and I know that I must face up to my own failures and that I must work hard to gain people's understanding and compassion. To start this process I am seeking help and all I can hope for in time is to address the personal failure which led to these circumstances and try and earn people's forgiveness. Anti-Semitic and racism have no part in our society. I unreservedly apologize for my behavior in causing any offense."
But Galliano is adamant the allegations against him are untrue and his innocence will be proven in due course. He adds, "I completely deny the claims made against me and have fully co-operated with the police investigation. A number of independent witnesses have given evidence and have told the police that I was subjected to verbal harassment and an unprovoked assault when an individual tried to hit me with a chair, having taken violent exception to my look and my clothing."
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered