Elton John and Partner David Furnish Will Attend Royal Wedding
Elton John and his partner David Furnish have been invited to the royal wedding in London next month - much to the rocker's surprise. The "Rocket Man" recently stated he was not expecting to be invited to perform for foreign royals and dignitaries at the wedding, while quietly trying to avoid telling the media he would be a guest.
He ruled out a performance on the big day - insisting he didn't really know Prince William and his bride-to-be. The rocker famously performed a special version of his Candle in the Wind hit at the funeral of William's mother Princess Diana in 1997 - and music industry experts expected him to be at the top of the heir's wish list when it came to selecting stars for his wedding to Kate Middleton.
But Elton told HollyScoop.com he's not even expecting an invite, stating, "I don't know them (princes William and Harry) very well. I've only met them twice - once when they were young and once at the Diana Memorial Concert... I knew their mother but that is the only thing. I'm not playing at the wedding. I haven't been asked and I don't expect to be asked."
But he has confirmed he will be going to the 29 April ceremony, telling Canada's CTV, "I've been trying to be discreet." Elton admits he's a big fan of both William and his future wife, noting Middleton is like the prince's beloved mother Diana "in personality," and adding, "She is very discreet, she is a very beautiful girl."
He's now hoping William will become king "at an early age" because "we need young people like him to lead". He adds, "I think he will be a tremendous king - not that (his father) Charles won't, but I think William will be tremendous." But the outspoken rocker couldn't resist one criticism - he told reporters he thought William's decision to give Kate his late mother's sapphire engagement ring was "a little odd".
More Elton John News
- Khloe Kardashian Accused of Photoshopping Her Workout Pic. See It Yourself!
- Miley Cyrus Goes Shopping in Malibu in Tiny Bikini
- Lea Michele and Ashley Tisdale Team Up for Breathtaking Cover of 'Dancing on My Own'
- Pauly D Splits From Aubrey O'Day After a Year and a Half of Dating
- J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic Eyeing 'X-Men' Star Nicholas Hoult for Lead Role
- Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn Hide Behind Umbrella While Heading to the Gym
- 'America's Got Talent': Tennessee Singer Gets DJ Khaled's Golden Buzzer for His Original Song
- Ciara Gets Slammed After Taking Her Baby on 'Dangerous' Waterslide in China