Elton John and Partner David Furnish Will Attend Royal Wedding
Elton John and his partner David Furnish have been invited to the royal wedding in London next month - much to the rocker's surprise. The "Rocket Man" recently stated he was not expecting to be invited to perform for foreign royals and dignitaries at the wedding, while quietly trying to avoid telling the media he would be a guest.
He ruled out a performance on the big day - insisting he didn't really know Prince William and his bride-to-be. The rocker famously performed a special version of his Candle in the Wind hit at the funeral of William's mother Princess Diana in 1997 - and music industry experts expected him to be at the top of the heir's wish list when it came to selecting stars for his wedding to Kate Middleton.
But Elton told HollyScoop.com he's not even expecting an invite, stating, "I don't know them (princes William and Harry) very well. I've only met them twice - once when they were young and once at the Diana Memorial Concert... I knew their mother but that is the only thing. I'm not playing at the wedding. I haven't been asked and I don't expect to be asked."
But he has confirmed he will be going to the 29 April ceremony, telling Canada's CTV, "I've been trying to be discreet." Elton admits he's a big fan of both William and his future wife, noting Middleton is like the prince's beloved mother Diana "in personality," and adding, "She is very discreet, she is a very beautiful girl."
He's now hoping William will become king "at an early age" because "we need young people like him to lead". He adds, "I think he will be a tremendous king - not that (his father) Charles won't, but I think William will be tremendous." But the outspoken rocker couldn't resist one criticism - he told reporters he thought William's decision to give Kate his late mother's sapphire engagement ring was "a little odd".
More Elton John News
- Kanye West Leaves L.A. in the Middle of the Night Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Iron Fist Shows His Martial Art Skills in New Photos of Netflix's Series
- Is Rihanna Not Happy With Beyonce Over Grammy Nominations?
- Wendy Williams Calls Nicki Minaj 'Insensive B***h' for Mocking Mentally Ill Woman
- Lady GaGa Pens 'Inspiring' Open Letter About Her Daily Effort to Battle With PTSD
- 'Bones': What Will Happen to the Jeffersonian? David Boreanaz Shares Photo of Destroyed Lab
- See Tom Hiddleston Accidentally Running Into 'Taylor Swift' During Morning Jog in London
- Andy Cohen Would Like to Hook Up With Justin Bieber