Corey Haim's Mum Is Upset by Oscars Snub of Her Late Son
Corey Haim's mother has blasted Academy Awards bosses for failing to include her late son in the In Memoriam tribute at the 2011 Oscars, insisting she felt "numb" and "hurt" by the snub. Judy Haim watched the prize giving on Sunday, February 27, hoping to see her son honored as Celine Dion sang Charlie Chaplin's "Smile". But the star, who died last year, wasn't part of the special segment.
She tells People.com, "When it was over, I shut the TV off and was so hurt, and I was numb and feeling his pain. This would have hurt him to the core." Judy reveals she asked Academy Awards chiefs for an explanation as to why the "Lost Boys" star was not featured in the memorial section - but was unsatisfied with their response.
She adds, "They knew Corey and sent condolences, and they explained that 200 (industry people) passed away in 2010 and it's impossible to mention them all. But I felt there were people we didn't even know who were on (the telecast).The Academy is not aware who is a household name. A lot of people were p**sed off he wasn't mentioned and this was (his) last chance to be honored by his peers. They say they're a tight community, but don't go to (people's) aid when in trouble, and don't honor them when they die. They need to say something when they pass away. I am sorry, he (Haim) has paid (his) dues. How can you not honor them? How can they say there's not enough time? They need to find time."
Haim's longtime pal Corey Feldman has previously expressed his shock at the snub, saying, "Haim dedicated his life to the film industry. The same industry that failed to dedicate even 30 seconds to his memory." A statement from the Oscars producers reads, "There will always be fans and family members of those not included who will be disappointed by their omission. The Academy extends its understanding and its apologies to those who missed seeing a favorite face in this year's feature."
- Mariah Carey's Estranged Sister Busted for Prostitution
- Video: Jennifer Lopez Reunites With Ex Marc Anthony on Stage After Casper Smart Split
- Adam Levine Dresses Up as Pokemon-Like Monster for Maroon 5 Music Video Shoot
- Watch: Thor Hilariously Explains Why He Is Absent From 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Do These Pictures Show Justin Bieber Having Sex With Sofia Richie?
- Rihanna to Open 2016 MTV Video Music Awards
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds