Katie Holmes Sues Tabloid for Defamatory Cover
Katie Holmes has slapped a $50 million lawsuit on U.S. tabloid Star over an article which suggested she was a drug addict. The actress was appalled by the magazine's cover story, which featured the headline "Addiction Nightmare - Katie Drug Shocker! - The Real Reason She Can't Leave Tom".
The article does not allege any drug use by Holmes, but she still feels the suggestive cover is clearly defamatory, and she has instructed her lawyers to act. A representative for the "Batman Begins" star tells TMZ.com, "Star Magazine's malicious claims about Katie are untrue, unethical and unlawful. Not only do they cruelly defame Katie, they play a cheap trick on the public, making ridiculously false claims on the cover unsupported by anything inside."
The "addiction" alleged in the story was to Scientology's e-meter device, the use of which Star said "gives subjects a temporary feeling of euphoria, followed by a crash and a craving for more," according to Gossip Cop.
More Katie Holmes News
- Nick Jonas Caught Enjoying a Date Night With a Mystery Blonde
- The Next 'X-Men' Sequel May Be Directed by Simon Kinberg
- Jimmy Kimmel Will Try His Best to Keep Matt Damon Off Oscars' Stage
- Prince Harry Plans to Move to the U.S. Once He Marries Meghan Markle
- Ed Sheeran Covers Little Mix's 'Touch' in Radio 1's Live Lounge
- Blonde Justin Bieber Enjoys Sunbathing in Acapulco - See the Pics
- 'Game of Thrones' Actor Alfie Allen to Join 'The Predator'
- Ben Affleck Moves Back in With Jennifer Garner Amid Divorce Rumors