Katie Holmes Sues Tabloid for Defamatory Cover
Katie Holmes has slapped a $50 million lawsuit on U.S. tabloid Star over an article which suggested she was a drug addict. The actress was appalled by the magazine's cover story, which featured the headline "Addiction Nightmare - Katie Drug Shocker! - The Real Reason She Can't Leave Tom".
The article does not allege any drug use by Holmes, but she still feels the suggestive cover is clearly defamatory, and she has instructed her lawyers to act. A representative for the "Batman Begins" star tells TMZ.com, "Star Magazine's malicious claims about Katie are untrue, unethical and unlawful. Not only do they cruelly defame Katie, they play a cheap trick on the public, making ridiculously false claims on the cover unsupported by anything inside."
The "addiction" alleged in the story was to Scientology's e-meter device, the use of which Star said "gives subjects a temporary feeling of euphoria, followed by a crash and a craving for more," according to Gossip Cop.
More Katie Holmes News
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked