Katie Holmes Sues Tabloid for Defamatory Cover
Katie Holmes has slapped a $50 million lawsuit on U.S. tabloid Star over an article which suggested she was a drug addict. The actress was appalled by the magazine's cover story, which featured the headline "Addiction Nightmare - Katie Drug Shocker! - The Real Reason She Can't Leave Tom".
The article does not allege any drug use by Holmes, but she still feels the suggestive cover is clearly defamatory, and she has instructed her lawyers to act. A representative for the "Batman Begins" star tells TMZ.com, "Star Magazine's malicious claims about Katie are untrue, unethical and unlawful. Not only do they cruelly defame Katie, they play a cheap trick on the public, making ridiculously false claims on the cover unsupported by anything inside."
The "addiction" alleged in the story was to Scientology's e-meter device, the use of which Star said "gives subjects a temporary feeling of euphoria, followed by a crash and a craving for more," according to Gossip Cop.
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed