Katie Holmes Sues Tabloid for Defamatory Cover
Katie Holmes has slapped a $50 million lawsuit on U.S. tabloid Star over an article which suggested she was a drug addict. The actress was appalled by the magazine's cover story, which featured the headline "Addiction Nightmare - Katie Drug Shocker! - The Real Reason She Can't Leave Tom".
The article does not allege any drug use by Holmes, but she still feels the suggestive cover is clearly defamatory, and she has instructed her lawyers to act. A representative for the "Batman Begins" star tells TMZ.com, "Star Magazine's malicious claims about Katie are untrue, unethical and unlawful. Not only do they cruelly defame Katie, they play a cheap trick on the public, making ridiculously false claims on the cover unsupported by anything inside."
The "addiction" alleged in the story was to Scientology's e-meter device, the use of which Star said "gives subjects a temporary feeling of euphoria, followed by a crash and a craving for more," according to Gossip Cop.
More Katie Holmes News
- Spidey Faces Off Vulture in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' First Trailer
- AFI Lists 'Game of Thrones', 'The Americans' and 'Better Call Saul' as Best TV Shows of 2016
- Kanye West Debuts Blonde Hair While Making First Public Appearance Since Hospitalization
- 'Logan' Reveals First Look at Richard E. Grant's Zander Rice
- Candace Cameron Exits 'The View' Because of 'Fuller House'
- First Look at Dinozords Unveiled in 'Power Rangers' Poster
- Kobe Bryant and Wife Vanessa Welcome Baby No. 3
- John Cena Enters Battlefield in Intense Trailer for Doug Liman's 'The Wall'