Natalie Portman Slams John Galliano's Racist Comments
Jewish actress Natalie Portman has taken time out from celebrating her Oscars triumph to publicly slam John Galliano after a video emerged of the fashion designer admitting his "love" for Nazi tyrant Adolf Hitler. The style guru was arrested last week after he allegedly hurled racist insults at a couple drinking in a Parisian bar.
He was released without charge but was suspended by bosses at fashion house Christian Dior, where he is head designer, while further police investigations took place. Galliano's lawyer, Stephane Zerbib, denied the claims, and revealed that the star is planning to sue the couple for defamation. But the flamboyant couturier faced further scandal on Monday, February 28 with the release of a new video which apparently shows him lashing out at another group of drinkers at the same bar, telling them, "I love Hitler".
Now Best Actress Oscar winner Portman, who is currently the face of Christian Dior's Miss Dior Cherie fragrance, has taken aim at Galliano - insisting she will no longer have anything to do with the shamed designer. She says in a statement, "I am deeply shocked and disgusted by the video of John Galliano's comments that surfaced today. In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way. I hope at the very least, these terrible comments remind us to reflect and act upon combating these still-existing prejudices that are the opposite of all that is beautiful."
The designer attended a Paris prosecutor's office on Monday, February 28 and denied all the allegations, according to the Associated Press.
More Natalie Portman News
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March