Judge Orders Etta James to Undergo Independent Medical Review
A California judge has ordered Etta James to undergo an independent medical evaluation after the ailing soul legend's son alleged she could be in "very serious danger" if she is left under the care of her current live-in doctor. The "At Last" singer is currently being cared for by Dr. Elaine James and a team of nurses at her home for dementia, leukemia and other problems.
Her son Donto's lawyer, James E. Deering, Jr., appeared at a hearing on Thursday, February 24 to raise concerns about her healthcare, claiming Dr. James had fitted the star with feeding tubes at her home - a procedure he insists should have been performed at a hospital.
Judge Thomas Cahraman then agreed for a court-appointed attorney to organize an independent physician to examine James and review her medical needs. In an interview with the Associated Press, Dr. James revealed she fully supported the judge's decision, claiming the singer is "not an easy patient".
She told reporters, "He can have 10 examiners, he can have 20 physicians to come in that house to perform the duties I do. I have a list of 23 medical sub-specialties that I have had to treat her for. She is not an easy patient. I have saved her several times. Eventually she will die with something, but it will not be with my help."
Last month, Judge Cahraman granted James' husband Artis Mills access to $60,000 of the ailing star's money to cover her medical costs.
- 'The Bachelorette: Men Tell All': Luke Reveals His Biggest Regret, Nick Challenges Chad to a Fight
- Kim Zolciak and Her Daughter Brielle Sport Huge Pouts After Trip to Plastic Surgeon
- Mariah Carey Casually Throws Shade at the Kardashians. See What She Says
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Producers Plead Guilty Over Harrison Ford's Accident
- Diplo Confirms Usher, Sam Hunt and Travi$ Scott Collabs for Major Lazer's New Album
- Lindsay Lohan Apologizes for Instagram Rant, Isn't Sure She Can Fix Relationship With Fiance
- AMC Renews 'Turn' for Fourth and Final Season
- Keshia Knight Pulliam's Husband Ed Hartwell Files for Divorce, Wants Paternity Test