Judge Orders Etta James to Undergo Independent Medical Review
A California judge has ordered Etta James to undergo an independent medical evaluation after the ailing soul legend's son alleged she could be in "very serious danger" if she is left under the care of her current live-in doctor. The "At Last" singer is currently being cared for by Dr. Elaine James and a team of nurses at her home for dementia, leukemia and other problems.
Her son Donto's lawyer, James E. Deering, Jr., appeared at a hearing on Thursday, February 24 to raise concerns about her healthcare, claiming Dr. James had fitted the star with feeding tubes at her home - a procedure he insists should have been performed at a hospital.
Judge Thomas Cahraman then agreed for a court-appointed attorney to organize an independent physician to examine James and review her medical needs. In an interview with the Associated Press, Dr. James revealed she fully supported the judge's decision, claiming the singer is "not an easy patient".
She told reporters, "He can have 10 examiners, he can have 20 physicians to come in that house to perform the duties I do. I have a list of 23 medical sub-specialties that I have had to treat her for. She is not an easy patient. I have saved her several times. Eventually she will die with something, but it will not be with my help."
Last month, Judge Cahraman granted James' husband Artis Mills access to $60,000 of the ailing star's money to cover her medical costs.
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March