Judge Orders Etta James to Undergo Independent Medical Review
A California judge has ordered Etta James to undergo an independent medical evaluation after the ailing soul legend's son alleged she could be in "very serious danger" if she is left under the care of her current live-in doctor. The "At Last" singer is currently being cared for by Dr. Elaine James and a team of nurses at her home for dementia, leukemia and other problems.
Her son Donto's lawyer, James E. Deering, Jr., appeared at a hearing on Thursday, February 24 to raise concerns about her healthcare, claiming Dr. James had fitted the star with feeding tubes at her home - a procedure he insists should have been performed at a hospital.
Judge Thomas Cahraman then agreed for a court-appointed attorney to organize an independent physician to examine James and review her medical needs. In an interview with the Associated Press, Dr. James revealed she fully supported the judge's decision, claiming the singer is "not an easy patient".
She told reporters, "He can have 10 examiners, he can have 20 physicians to come in that house to perform the duties I do. I have a list of 23 medical sub-specialties that I have had to treat her for. She is not an easy patient. I have saved her several times. Eventually she will die with something, but it will not be with my help."
Last month, Judge Cahraman granted James' husband Artis Mills access to $60,000 of the ailing star's money to cover her medical costs.
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!
- Katy Perry's New Album in the Works, Tour to Follow in 2017
- Justin Bieber Launches Another Bizarre Rant
- Sharon Osbourne Defends Kelly for Trashing Ozzy's Alleged Mistress, Can't Help Laughing at It
- Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley Returning to Host 2016 CMA Awards