'Gnomeo and Juliet' Tops U.S. Box Office Chart in Oscar Weekend
Animated Disney film "Gnomeo and Juliet" has surprised movie experts by triumphing over Owen Wilson's new comedy "Hall Pass" to top the U.S. box office chart in its third week of release.
The 3D family favorite, which is based on the Shakespeare tale and features music by Sir Elton John, climbed to number one with takings of $14.2 million, boosting its total gross in the U.S. to $75.1 million.
"Hall Pass", directed by the Farrelly Brothers, debuted in second place with $13.4 million, while Liam Neeson's former chart-topper "Unknown (2011)" fell to three. Justin Bieber's "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never" is in sixth position, while Nicolas Cage's new action movie "Drive Angry" only just managed to land at number nine with $5.1 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for February 25-27:
- "Gnomeo and Juliet" - $14.2 million
- "Hall Pass" - $ 13.4 million
- "Unknown" - $12.4 million
- "Just Go with It" - $11.1 million
- "I Am Number Four" - $11 million
- "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never" - $9.2 million
- "The King's Speech" - $7.6 million
- "Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son" - $7.5 million
- "Drive Angry" - $5.1 million
- "The Roommate" - $2 million
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered