'Gnomeo and Juliet' Tops U.S. Box Office Chart in Oscar Weekend
Animated Disney film "Gnomeo and Juliet" has surprised movie experts by triumphing over Owen Wilson's new comedy "Hall Pass" to top the U.S. box office chart in its third week of release.
The 3D family favorite, which is based on the Shakespeare tale and features music by Sir Elton John, climbed to number one with takings of $14.2 million, boosting its total gross in the U.S. to $75.1 million.
"Hall Pass", directed by the Farrelly Brothers, debuted in second place with $13.4 million, while Liam Neeson's former chart-topper "Unknown (2011)" fell to three. Justin Bieber's "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never" is in sixth position, while Nicolas Cage's new action movie "Drive Angry" only just managed to land at number nine with $5.1 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for February 25-27:
- "Gnomeo and Juliet" - $14.2 million
- "Hall Pass" - $ 13.4 million
- "Unknown" - $12.4 million
- "Just Go with It" - $11.1 million
- "I Am Number Four" - $11 million
- "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never" - $9.2 million
- "The King's Speech" - $7.6 million
- "Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son" - $7.5 million
- "Drive Angry" - $5.1 million
- "The Roommate" - $2 million
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying If She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI
- Justin Bieber Falls Again on Stage During His Concert