'Gnomeo and Juliet' Tops U.S. Box Office Chart in Oscar Weekend
Animated Disney film "Gnomeo and Juliet" has surprised movie experts by triumphing over Owen Wilson's new comedy "Hall Pass" to top the U.S. box office chart in its third week of release.
The 3D family favorite, which is based on the Shakespeare tale and features music by Sir Elton John, climbed to number one with takings of $14.2 million, boosting its total gross in the U.S. to $75.1 million.
"Hall Pass", directed by the Farrelly Brothers, debuted in second place with $13.4 million, while Liam Neeson's former chart-topper "Unknown (2011)" fell to three. Justin Bieber's "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never" is in sixth position, while Nicolas Cage's new action movie "Drive Angry" only just managed to land at number nine with $5.1 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for February 25-27:
- "Gnomeo and Juliet" - $14.2 million
- "Hall Pass" - $ 13.4 million
- "Unknown" - $12.4 million
- "Just Go with It" - $11.1 million
- "I Am Number Four" - $11 million
- "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never" - $9.2 million
- "The King's Speech" - $7.6 million
- "Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son" - $7.5 million
- "Drive Angry" - $5.1 million
- "The Roommate" - $2 million
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga Make Out in New Alexander Wang Promo
- Brad Pitt Cancels Red Carpet Appearance Due to 'Family Situation'
- Solange Announces New Album 'A Seat at the Table', Reveals Tracklist
- Viola Davis to Lead All-Female Heist Movie From '12 Years a Slave' Director Steve McQueen
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce