Dior's Designer Arrested for Verbal Assaults and Suspended
Fashion icon John Galliano has been arrested after allegedly hurling anti-Semitic insults at a couple during a night out in Paris. The flamboyant designer was drinking at a bar in the Marais district of the French capital when he began verbally assaulting two strangers sitting on a cafe terrace, according to Britain's Guardian newspaper.
Galliano, the head designer of Christian Dior, was taken to a police station for a sobriety test. The state prosecutor recommended his release and charges were not filed. Cops later escorted the 50 year old to his home in the city.
The arrest comes just days before the launch of Paris Fashion Week, where couture house Dior's show is one of the main attractions.
The fashion house has released a statement, saying "Christian Dior has been informed of accusations that John Galliano, its designer, made anti-Semitic remarks in an incident last evening in Paris. Sidney Toledano, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Christian Dior Couture, said, 'Christian Dior has an unequivocal zero-tolerance policy regarding anti-Semitism and racism.' Christian Dior has suspended John Galliano from his position, pending the conclusion of the investigation being conducted by authorities."
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism