Dave Grohl Dedicated His NME Award to Kurt Cobain
Foo Fighters' frontman Dave Grohl dedicated his NME Godlike Genius Award to his late Nirvana bandmate Kurt Cobain in London on Wednesday night, February 23.
The drummer was handed the accolade during the star-studded ceremony at the O2 Academy in Brixton, where famous friends like Sir Paul McCartney, Jack Black and his Them Crooked Vultures bandmates Josh Homme and John Paul Jones paid tribute to the rocker in video messages.
After letting a standing ovation subside, Grohl joked, "You guys realize they gave this one to a drummer, right? This one's for the drummers!" He then recalled an incident when he once sneaked into the venue, previously called the Brixton Academy, with his Nirvana bandmates to watch the Pixies perform. He finished his acceptance speech by dedicating his award to Cobain, who died in 1994. Grohl told the crowd, "This one's for Kurt."
The Foo Fighters then took to the stage and launched into a full set, inviting The Who's Roger Daltrey onstage to join them for a rendition of "Young Man Blues". Grohl announced, "Oh, and by the way, they asked us to play tonight and we thought, 'Yeah, ok sure'. And they said, 'Why don't you do four or five songs?' and I said, 'F**k that, why don't we play for two f**kin' hours!' And I also said, 'Why don't we play a song with an actual godlike genius, Mr Roger Daltrey?' "
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'
- George and Amal Clooney Reportedly to Spend Over $1 M on a Royal-Like Delivery Experience
- 'Delusional' Drake Is Still Not Over Rihanna, but She Won't Give Him Another Chance
- Perrie Edwards Celebrates Footballer Beau Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's Win With a Dance
- Kris Jenner Reportedly Planning New Reality Show Featuring Her Grandkids
- Sara Sampaio Exposes Nipples in See-Through Bustier