Esperanza Spalding Talks Nasty Comments Posted by Bieber's Fans
Jazz star Esperanza Spalding has brushed off the harsh criticism she's received after beating Justin Bieber to the Best New Artist Grammy Award at this year's ceremony, insisting she's not making music to be popular. The little-known bassist and singer was a surprise winner at the Grammys, triumphing over more mainstream acts like Bieber, Drake, Florence and the Machine and Mumford & Sons.
The Grammy upset sparked outrage among fans of teenage pop sensation Bieber, prompting them to post nasty messages on Spalding's Wikipedia.com profile, which is edited by members of the public. But Spalding is refusing to let the rude comments stop her from revelling in the limelight.
She tells People magazine, "It's all good. People are always going to say something. You don't do music to have people write nice things on your Facebook page." And Spalding reveals she met Bieber shortly after her victory and he came across as a "good dude".
- Did The Weeknd Send Gigi Hadid a Birthday Gift Despite Dumping Her Sister Bella?
- Machine Gun Kelly Explains Health Scare He Experienced During Concert
- Report: Mariah Carey Was a Diva While Visiting Disneyland
- New 'Justice League' Poster Brings Back Superman
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez' Candlelit Dinner
- Kim Zolciak's 4-Year-Old Son Gets Emergency Surgery After Being Bitten by Dog
- Kendrick Lamar Nabs Third No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 With 'DAMN'
- Amber Heard and Elon Musk Confirm Relationship With PDA Pictures