Hayden Panettiere Roots for Amanda Knox's Freedom
Hayden Panettiere "cares" about the fate of Amanda Knox after portraying her in a TV movie - and hopes the convicted killer is one day released from prison.
The "Heroes" star plays the American student in "Amanda Knox: Murder on Trial in Italy", which is based on the brutal killing of Knox's roommate, Meredith Kercher. Panettiere admits she can't help but "root for" the 23 year old as she appeals against her conviction, and wants to see her freed - whether she's guilty or not.
The actress tells the Los Angeles Times, "I've lived a very different life than her. She went to normal school and worked at a coffee shop and was just going over to Europe, and I grew up acting. But we're both young girls. And I care about her. To a certain degree, guilty or innocent, I want to see her get out and be able to live the rest of her life. She's someone that I root for."
Knox is serving a 26-year sentence in an Italian prison for killing Kercher in 2007 but a jury will meet next month, March 12, after new forensic evidence was discovered.
More Hayden Panettiere News
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'