Disappointed at Hollywood, Matthew Fox Plans to Quit Acting
Actor Matthew Fox has blasted modern Hollywood movies, insisting they are "gratuitous" and dismissing the 3D revolution as a "setback". The "Lost" star has launched an extraordinary rant about the mainstream film industry in the U.S., branding romantic comedies unfunny and claiming he "hates" acting and is not in "any hurry" to progress up the career ladder.
He tells Britain's Live magazine, "Look at 3D. That's a major setback to good storytelling. I took my little boy to see The Last Airbender. It was an awful film. The director M. Night Shyamalan hasn't directed a good movie since The Sixth Sense."
"I'm disillusioned with the drift towards gratuitous entertainment, which so much of Hollywood is now. Because of the state of the economy people seem to want pure escapism. But if the roles I fight to get all go to Matt Damon, then I won't work. I turn a lot of stuff down - big, big movies, the kind I wouldn't want to go to the cinema to see."
"...Unless they reinvent the wheel in terms of romantic comedies - in other words, they start making them funny and romantic again - I'm not going to be starring in any of these movies... A lot of the time I hate acting. It has a lot to do with the way I was brought up in a world where showing your emotions is frowned upon. It's just not manly."
And Fox may even quit acting altogether, adding: "I know some Hollywood studios see me becoming a leading man on the big budget vehicles, playing the kind of roles that Steve McQueen used to excel at. But I'm not in any hurry. I'd be just as happy sitting back and watching the seasons change. There's a possibility I'll give up acting and do something altogether different. Become an astronomer, maybe."
- Ex-Wonder Girls Member Sun Mi to Release Second Solo Album in August
- Find Out Why Song Joong Ki Wants to Get Married Early
- Ariel Winter Flaunts Butt Tattoo on Snapchat
- Did Katy Perry Secretly Undergo Plastic Surgery?
- Beyonce and Jay-Z Spark Rise in Bel-Air Property Prices
- 'American Horror Story': Ryan Murphy Shares Photo of 'Cult' Member. Is It Evan Peters?
- Secretly Married? Liam Payne Calls Cheryl His 'Wife' in New Interview
- Comic-Con: 'Ready Player One' First Footage Introduces Stepen Spielberg's VR Dystopia