Fans of Robocop Raise Money for Statue Erection
Fans of Robocop have raised more than $50,000 towards a statue honoring the film franchise in Detroit, Michigan. Film fans on Facebook.com have rallied to raise the cash to pay tribute to the classic sci-fi movie in the city where it was based - but they've yet to convince local politicians to approve the monument.
Project leader Jeff Paffendorf says, "It hit a sweet spot. It's a fun and funny idea to build a statue of RoboCop. There's violence in RoboCop, but through the film RoboCop tries to do the right thing."
Dave Bing, the mayor of Detroit, insists he currently has no intention of approving the figure, because of the high level of violence in RoboCop. His spokeswoman Karen Dumas says, "We know there are a lot of people that care deeply about the issue, and we respect that. But I'm still not sure that RoboCop is the best message for the city of Detroit."
The 1987 movie, starring Peter Weller as a police officer who is murdered and re-created as a robot, grossed more than $53 million and spawned two sequels.
- Iggy Azalea's Former Fiance Nick Young Welcomes Baby No. 2 With His Other Ex
- Felicity Jones Leads the Rebel Alliance in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Pic
- Is Mariah Carey's 'Close Relationship' With a Male Dancer to Blame for James Packer Split?
- Charli XCX Releases 'After the Afterparty' Feat. Lil Yachty
- Calvin Harris Flirts With Halsey on Twitter
- Kanye West Plays Birthday Video for Kim and Gives Her Shout-Out During 'Saint Pablo' Show
- Get Your First Look at Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie on 'Thor: Ragnarok' Set
- Madonna Lets Photographer Grab Her Crotch During Party. See the Pics!