Fans of Robocop Raise Money for Statue Erection
Fans of Robocop have raised more than $50,000 towards a statue honoring the film franchise in Detroit, Michigan. Film fans on Facebook.com have rallied to raise the cash to pay tribute to the classic sci-fi movie in the city where it was based - but they've yet to convince local politicians to approve the monument.
Project leader Jeff Paffendorf says, "It hit a sweet spot. It's a fun and funny idea to build a statue of RoboCop. There's violence in RoboCop, but through the film RoboCop tries to do the right thing."
Dave Bing, the mayor of Detroit, insists he currently has no intention of approving the figure, because of the high level of violence in RoboCop. His spokeswoman Karen Dumas says, "We know there are a lot of people that care deeply about the issue, and we respect that. But I'm still not sure that RoboCop is the best message for the city of Detroit."
The 1987 movie, starring Peter Weller as a police officer who is murdered and re-created as a robot, grossed more than $53 million and spawned two sequels.
- Are Jon Hamm and Jenny Slate Dating? Pal Says 'They're a Perfect Match'
- Emily Ratajkowski Parades Her Impressive Bum in Tiny Thong Bikini in Italy
- Going Too Far? Halsey Shades Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and Katy Perry
- Are Park Bo Gum and Jang Nara Getting Married?
- Will Ferrell's 'The House' Co-Star Speaks Up About Mariah Carey's Diva Behaviors on Set
- Here's Why Kenya Moore Kept Her Husband's Identity Secret
- Taylor Swift Makes Many Heartbreak Songs for New Album Despite Blooming Romance With Joe Alwyn
- Are They Hooking Up? Amber Rose Spotted Leaving a Club With 21 Savage