Patsy Kensit Is Heading Playgrounds Improvement Campaign
"Lethal Weapon 2" star Patsy Kensit is on a mission to restore Britain's abandoned playgrounds. The British actress is spearheading the Parents for Playgrounds drive, which will hand out $22,500 grants for play spaces in desperate need of renovation. And Kensit, who has a son James with "Simple Minds" rocker Jim Kerr and a little boy, Lennon, with Liam Gallagher, is passionate about the campaign - because she depended on her local park and the mums she met there when raising her kids.
She tells U.K. TV show "Daybreak", "We're asking parents up and down the country to nominate playgrounds in their area that they feel could be in need of repair, improvement. We're going to choose five play areas and a BPS15,000 bursary is going to be used to renovate these areas, which is incredible in a time when we're having so much taken away from us. It's so generous and it's a social mission. I've got two boys, 18 and 11, and this campaign is aimed at primary school children to the age of 11, so I've kind of lived it, I know what it's like."
She adds, "I had my first son James when I was very young, none of my girlfriends had children. I relied heavily on going to the playground, meeting other kids, other mums I could talk to there. (Playgrounds are) something that I fear could disappear with computer screens, every weekend there's a great new Pixar movie coming out. (But) it's so important that we do get out, have fresh air and have those memories."
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying If She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI
- Justin Bieber Falls Again on Stage During His Concert