Rip Torn Is Working on Autobiography to Rebuild Reputation
Embattled actor Rip Torn is writing his autobiography in a bid to show fans he's more than just the alcoholic he's been portrayed as in the press.
The "Men In Black" star, 80, embarked on a career in Hollywood after graduating from Texas A&M University, landing roles in films such as "Payday" (1972), "The Man Who Fell To Earth" (1976) and "Cross Creek" (1983), for which he won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination. But Torn, who also enjoyed several stints on Broadway, has been hitting the headlines for all the wrong reasons of late, following his arrest for a drunken bank break-in last year.
The actor was sentenced to probation and ordered to enroll in a treatment program after he was found sprawled on the floor of the Litchfield Bancorp building in his hometown of Salisbury, Connecticut clutching a revolver. The star reportedly told cops he thought the building was his home. However, Torn is working on rebuilding his reputation and is opening up about his life story for a new book.
He tells New York Post columnist Cindy Adams, "My life story. I'm writing it, needing a typist and (publishing house) Simon & Schuster's interested, but I'm looking for a title. I started acting with my sister Patricia in Texas. My father was a lobbyist. I was (sic) an honors student. Stuff said about me these days doesn't jibe with what I really am...".
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding