Wyclef Jean to Play Online Concert to Support Egyptian Freedom Fighters
Wyclef Jean has announced plans to broadcast a free concert over the internet in a show of support for protesters in Egypt. The former The Fugees star has been moved by footage of the uprising in Egypt, which has been making headlines around the world since last month, when thousands of citizens in the African republic began call for the resignation of long-serving President Hosni Mubarak.
And the hip-hop star wants to do his part to boost the demonstrators' spirits - by performing an online gig for the people of Egypt. In a video message on his Facebook.com page, Jean says, "We want to do something special... We want them to know that they're not alone. We're in this struggle too and we're gonna fight with them so that they get their freedom."
"It's going to come out on Facebook Friday morning, seven o'clock, we're gonna drop it. Wyclef singing for the people of Egypt straight from my heart. All the people in Egypt that's watching me on Twitter, I want you all to know that you're not alone."
"We're fighting with you all. Africa, it's one fight, one struggle, respect - nothing but love. Make sure you all catch this joint for the people of Egypt." Following the strife and reportedly at the urging of U.S. politicians, President Mubarak, who has led Egypt for the past 30 years, has resigned.
Wyclef has dedicated his life to international politics in recent months and last year staged an unsuccessful attempt to join the race to become his native Haiti's new president.
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger