Barbra Streisand Confirms to Star in New 'Gypsy' Movie
Barbra Streisand has confirmed reports she's returning to the big screen to star in the film adaptation of musical "Gypsy" - about stripper Gypsy Rose Lee. The singer/actress admits the news leaked "a little early" but she is on board.
She tells the Los Angeles Times, "I am not sure about directing it. It may just be too much. I know I will be playing the part."
Arthur Laurents, who wrote "The Way We Were" for Streisand, let slip about the new movie project, telling the New York Post in January Streisand was in "deep in negotiations to direct, produce and star in a movie version of Gypsy." He insisted the diva was perfect for the role, stating, "She had a mother who she always thought was Mama Rose. I don't want to get into the details, but the point is she knows. She's got it in her. She's going to be much more than people expect."
Rosalind Russell and Bette Midler have starred in previous film versions of "Gypsy".
- Watch: Elizabeth Banks, Idina Menzel and More Stars Cover 'Fight Song' for Hillary Clinton
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof