Barbra Streisand Confirms to Star in New 'Gypsy' Movie
Barbra Streisand has confirmed reports she's returning to the big screen to star in the film adaptation of musical "Gypsy" - about stripper Gypsy Rose Lee. The singer/actress admits the news leaked "a little early" but she is on board.
She tells the Los Angeles Times, "I am not sure about directing it. It may just be too much. I know I will be playing the part."
Arthur Laurents, who wrote "The Way We Were" for Streisand, let slip about the new movie project, telling the New York Post in January Streisand was in "deep in negotiations to direct, produce and star in a movie version of Gypsy." He insisted the diva was perfect for the role, stating, "She had a mother who she always thought was Mama Rose. I don't want to get into the details, but the point is she knows. She's got it in her. She's going to be much more than people expect."
Rosalind Russell and Bette Midler have starred in previous film versions of "Gypsy".
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd
- Brody Jenner Throws Tantrum After Getting Kicked Off Hotel
- Justin Bieber and Beyonce Knowles Lead Nominations for 2016 MTV EMAs