Barbra Streisand Confirms to Star in New 'Gypsy' Movie
Barbra Streisand has confirmed reports she's returning to the big screen to star in the film adaptation of musical "Gypsy" - about stripper Gypsy Rose Lee. The singer/actress admits the news leaked "a little early" but she is on board.
She tells the Los Angeles Times, "I am not sure about directing it. It may just be too much. I know I will be playing the part."
Arthur Laurents, who wrote "The Way We Were" for Streisand, let slip about the new movie project, telling the New York Post in January Streisand was in "deep in negotiations to direct, produce and star in a movie version of Gypsy." He insisted the diva was perfect for the role, stating, "She had a mother who she always thought was Mama Rose. I don't want to get into the details, but the point is she knows. She's got it in her. She's going to be much more than people expect."
Rosalind Russell and Bette Midler have starred in previous film versions of "Gypsy".
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart