Prince Donates $1.5 Million in Madison Square Garden Concert
Soul superstar Prince has handed out $1.5 million to charitable causes during his string of concerts at New York's Madison Square Garden. The "Purple Rain" icon wrapped up his residency at the fabled venue on Monday, February 7, with stars including Whoopi Goldberg, The Roots drummer Ahmir '?uestlove' Thompson and socialite Kim Kardashian among the fans in the audience.
The singer has marked the end of the gigs by donating $1 million to educational charity the Harlem Children's Zone, and a further $250,000 to both the American Ballet Theatre and the Uptown Dance Academy in the Big Apple. And Prince's kind gestures earned him a special mention from Goldberg as she co-hosted daytime talk show "The View" on Tuesday, February 8, praising him for his generosity.
She told viewers, "I just had to shout it out because he's very low key, but he's going around, all over the country, as he's touring, to find places where he feels he can help."
More Prince News
- Selena Gomez's '13 Reasons Why' Sparks Concerns Among School Officials and Health Experts
- Report: Taylor Swift and Harry Styles Getting Back Together
- 'DWTS' Stars Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Survive Attempted Break-In
- Heather Morris on Her 'DWTS' Elimination: 'I Was Very Happy for the Last Time to Be Amazing'
- Tyga's Afraid of Losing Kylie Jenner Forever as He Feels 'Threatened' by Travis Scott
- Hailee Steinfeld's New Song 'Most Girls' Will Arrive This Week
- Tiny's 'Nervous' to Divorce T.I.: Their Children Are Her Biggest Concern
- Madonna Slams Biopic 'Blonde Ambition'