Prince Donates $1.5 Million in Madison Square Garden Concert
Soul superstar Prince has handed out $1.5 million to charitable causes during his string of concerts at New York's Madison Square Garden. The "Purple Rain" icon wrapped up his residency at the fabled venue on Monday, February 7, with stars including Whoopi Goldberg, The Roots drummer Ahmir '?uestlove' Thompson and socialite Kim Kardashian among the fans in the audience.
The singer has marked the end of the gigs by donating $1 million to educational charity the Harlem Children's Zone, and a further $250,000 to both the American Ballet Theatre and the Uptown Dance Academy in the Big Apple. And Prince's kind gestures earned him a special mention from Goldberg as she co-hosted daytime talk show "The View" on Tuesday, February 8, praising him for his generosity.
She told viewers, "I just had to shout it out because he's very low key, but he's going around, all over the country, as he's touring, to find places where he feels he can help."
More Prince News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story