Prince Disappointed Over Axed Super Bowl Concert
A Super Bowl benefit show starring Prince and Erykah Badu was canceled shortly before it was due to begin on Friday, February 4 after financial backing for the concert collapsed. Fans flocked to buy tickets for TheEvent fundraiser, organized by The Goss-Michael Foundation, an arts group founded by British singer George Michael and his longtime partner, Kenny Goss.
Organizers of the gig, in Dallas, Texas, announced that the show had switched venues, before stunning concertgoers by axing the show altogether late on Friday. Joyce Goss, executive director of the foundation, tells the Dallas News, "We faced a disappointment that is immeasurable for us, our scholarship recipients and our supporters. Both Kenny Goss and I are extremely disappointed that TheEvent featuring Prince was canceled. It continues to be our understanding that River Alexander Group, the event organizer, was unable to fund and produce the evening. Up to the very last minute they assured us the 'show would go on.' "
Sources tell the Associated Press the financial problems resulted in Prince and his band being unable to travel to the concert. The insider adds, "Prince is extremely disappointed that the organizers were unable to bring him and his band to Dallas. They say that apparently they lost their investors and were unable to adequately fund the event."
More Prince News
- 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life' Gets First Teaser and Premiere Date
- Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck '100 Percent Still Separated' Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Miranda Lambert's Rep Shoots Down Pregnancy Rumors
- Watch Star-Studded Performance of 'What the World Needs Now Is Love' at DNC
- 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Brings Out the Poetic World
- Keshia Knight Pulliam Accuses Her Husband of Cheating While Tearfully Talking About Divorce
- Beyonce Is Reported to Perform at 2016 MTV VMAs
- George and Amal Clooney Are Reportedly Expecting First Child