Prince Disappointed Over Axed Super Bowl Concert
A Super Bowl benefit show starring Prince and Erykah Badu was canceled shortly before it was due to begin on Friday, February 4 after financial backing for the concert collapsed. Fans flocked to buy tickets for TheEvent fundraiser, organized by The Goss-Michael Foundation, an arts group founded by British singer George Michael and his longtime partner, Kenny Goss.
Organizers of the gig, in Dallas, Texas, announced that the show had switched venues, before stunning concertgoers by axing the show altogether late on Friday. Joyce Goss, executive director of the foundation, tells the Dallas News, "We faced a disappointment that is immeasurable for us, our scholarship recipients and our supporters. Both Kenny Goss and I are extremely disappointed that TheEvent featuring Prince was canceled. It continues to be our understanding that River Alexander Group, the event organizer, was unable to fund and produce the evening. Up to the very last minute they assured us the 'show would go on.' "
Sources tell the Associated Press the financial problems resulted in Prince and his band being unable to travel to the concert. The insider adds, "Prince is extremely disappointed that the organizers were unable to bring him and his band to Dallas. They say that apparently they lost their investors and were unable to adequately fund the event."
More Prince News
- Rob Kardashian Crushing on His Own Sister Kim When He Was Young
- Zack Snyder Hints at Deathstroke's Cameo in 'Justice League'
- Kim Kardashian Ditches Panties in Jaw-Dropping Look at Paris Fashion Week
- Britney Spears Feels Great in Her 30s Because Her 20s Were 'Horrible'
- Listen to Niall Horan's First Solo Single 'This Town' Here!
- Kim Kardashian Is Sick of Taylor Swift Question: 'I'm So Over It'
- Luke Cage's Leading Lady Misty Knight Confirmed to Return on 'The Defenders'
- Don't Call Zayn Malik 'Celebrity' Because He Loathes It!