Prince Disappointed Over Axed Super Bowl Concert
A Super Bowl benefit show starring Prince and Erykah Badu was canceled shortly before it was due to begin on Friday, February 4 after financial backing for the concert collapsed. Fans flocked to buy tickets for TheEvent fundraiser, organized by The Goss-Michael Foundation, an arts group founded by British singer George Michael and his longtime partner, Kenny Goss.
Organizers of the gig, in Dallas, Texas, announced that the show had switched venues, before stunning concertgoers by axing the show altogether late on Friday. Joyce Goss, executive director of the foundation, tells the Dallas News, "We faced a disappointment that is immeasurable for us, our scholarship recipients and our supporters. Both Kenny Goss and I are extremely disappointed that TheEvent featuring Prince was canceled. It continues to be our understanding that River Alexander Group, the event organizer, was unable to fund and produce the evening. Up to the very last minute they assured us the 'show would go on.' "
Sources tell the Associated Press the financial problems resulted in Prince and his band being unable to travel to the concert. The insider adds, "Prince is extremely disappointed that the organizers were unable to bring him and his band to Dallas. They say that apparently they lost their investors and were unable to adequately fund the event."
More Prince News
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' Recap: Mixed-Up Teams and Nude Photo Shoot
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Backstreet Boys' Performance, a 'Nickathlon' and a Zero Gravity Date
- See Margot Robbie's Drastic Transformation to Portray Tonya Harding
- Green Day Roasts Donald Trump in 'Troubled Times' Lyric Video
- New Couple Alert! Suki Waterhouse and 'Rogue One' Star Diego Luna Caught Getting Handsy in Mexico
- Kourtney Kardashian Is Still 'Serious' About Scott Disick Despite Reunion With Justin Bieber
- Mariah Carey and Elton John Rake in Millions of Dollars From Russian Billionaire Heiress' Wedding
- Armie Hammer and Elizabeth Chambers Welcome Baby No. 2