Luther Campbell Running for Mayor of Miami
Veteran hip-hop star Luther Campbell is turning his political dreams into reality - he's officially announced his candidacy for Mayor of Miami-Dade, Florida. The former 2 Live Crew member recently expressed his disappointment with the current mayor, Carlos Alvarez, who has come under fire by local residents for handing out salary increases to his employees during the state's economic crisis.
Last month, he admitted he was "seriously" considering running for office - and now he's stepping up as an official candidate. Campbell will be focusing on job creation, affordable housing and taxation issues as part of his mayoral campaign in the run up to the elections later this year.
But one proposal is sure to cause controversy - if elected, the star wants to start taxing strippers. He says, "Even though all my stripper friends are gonna be mad at me, I think we can stimulate the economy with a tax on strippers. They make all this money and don't pay taxes."
"I'd take that cash and put it into a fund where it supports youth athletics for girls, like cheerleading or softball. Or it can go to help pay for existing little girls programs that are struggling to get government assistance."
Campbell isn't the only rapper to pursue political aspirations recently - Wyclef Jean attempted to run for president of Haiti last year and Rhymefest is currently bidding to become a councilman in his native Chicago, Illinois.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story