Jake Gyllenhaal and Billy Bob Thornton Wanted for 'The Stand'
Legendary horror writer Stephen King is urging movie bosses to cast Jake Gyllenhaal and Billy Bob Thornton in the upcoming big screen remake of his 1978 book "The Stand". The post-apocalyptic story, which sees the United States devastated by a superflu virus, was used as the basis for a 1994 TV miniseries of the same name starring Gary Sinise in the lead role of survivor Stuart Redman.
Movie bosses have now announced plans to bring the tale to cinemas in a new update, and although King is adamant Sinise was the perfect choice to lead the cast, he would be happy to see Gyllenhaal take the main role. He tells EW.com, "No one will be able to top Gary Sinise, who played Stu Redman in the original ABC miniseries. He was perfect... (But) my runner-up pick would be Jake Gyllenhaal."
King also hopes Thornton will be offered a part in the update, adding, "Billy Bob Thornton would be cool. Billy Bob's always cool." But the author admits he will have little say in the casting, as he only found out about the movie plans through the web: "I didn't know anything about the remake until I read about it on the internet... Historically speaking, movie studios blow the budget on things like this, so maybe it'll be fun to look at. The dough (money) certainly isn't going to me, although if it is a trilogy, and if it makes a lot of money, I might be able to buy a chicken dinner at Popeye's (fast food chain)."
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist