Whoopi Goldberg Made Shocking Confession as Drug Addict
Whoopi Goldberg shocked U.S. TV viewers on Wednesday, February 2 morning when she opened up about the disturbing moment that convinced her to quit drugs at the height of her addiction. The Oscar winner, who skyrocketed to fame after her starring role in 1985 film "The Color Purple", insists she was a "fully functioning" addict who fooled movie bosses so she could continue to work and fund her habit.
Co-hosting her talk show "The View", the comedienne opened up about the paranoia she experienced that convinced her to finally get clean. She says, "I was a functioning drug addict. I went to work because I knew if I didn't show up, a lot of people would be out of work and I wouldn't get a cheque and I wouldn't have the lifestyle that I needed to buy all my drugs."
"I winded up sitting on a bed for three or four days scared there was something under the bed. I wet the bed, I pooped the bed, I did all kinds of stuff and my roommate came back and said, 'What is going on?' I said, 'There's something under the bed...' "
"I was so scared and that's when I knew. Not only did I hit bottom but I was like, is that me?... I was a grown woman and look at what I did to myself. I did films during that time."
But Goldberg insists she hasn't looked back since the incident - and she's been sober for years. She adds: "Look where I am now, I'm straight as an arrow." Unconfirmed reports suggest the actress struggled with heroin addiction early on in her career.
- Lucasfilm Isn't Happy With Alden Ehrenreich's 'Han Solo' Performance
- Israel Names a Beach After Britney Spears
- Taylor Swift Resurfaces With New Look in a Congratulatory Video for Russell Westbrook
- Pregnant Serena Williams Poses Nearly Nude for Vanity Fair
- Scott Disick Risks Liver Failure With His Binge Drinking Habit
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly