Elton John Never Acknowledged by Father
Sir Elton John has opened up about his fractured relationship with his late father, revealing his dad never saw him perform. "The Rocket Man", who welcomed a son, Zachary, over Christmas, craved attention from his father, Stanley Dwight, as he was growing up.
Dwight divorced John's mother when the musician was 15 years old, and went on to remarry and have three more children. And the singer reveals that although his father was a loving parent to his half-brothers, he was unable to relate to the star and failed to take an interest in his music career.
He tells Britain's Daily Mail, "You know, my father never came to hear me play. Not ever. He was a tough and unemotional man. Hard. In the RAF (Royal Air Force). He was dismissive, disappointed and finally absent. I just wanted him to acknowledge what I'd done. But he never did."
"It wasn't that he didn't know how to relate to kids. He left us, remarried and had another family, and by all accounts was a great dad to them. It wasn't children, it was me."
More Elton John News
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake