Elton John Never Acknowledged by Father
Sir Elton John has opened up about his fractured relationship with his late father, revealing his dad never saw him perform. "The Rocket Man", who welcomed a son, Zachary, over Christmas, craved attention from his father, Stanley Dwight, as he was growing up.
Dwight divorced John's mother when the musician was 15 years old, and went on to remarry and have three more children. And the singer reveals that although his father was a loving parent to his half-brothers, he was unable to relate to the star and failed to take an interest in his music career.
He tells Britain's Daily Mail, "You know, my father never came to hear me play. Not ever. He was a tough and unemotional man. Hard. In the RAF (Royal Air Force). He was dismissive, disappointed and finally absent. I just wanted him to acknowledge what I'd done. But he never did."
"It wasn't that he didn't know how to relate to kids. He left us, remarried and had another family, and by all accounts was a great dad to them. It wasn't children, it was me."
More Elton John News
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones