Elton John Never Acknowledged by Father
Sir Elton John has opened up about his fractured relationship with his late father, revealing his dad never saw him perform. "The Rocket Man", who welcomed a son, Zachary, over Christmas, craved attention from his father, Stanley Dwight, as he was growing up.
Dwight divorced John's mother when the musician was 15 years old, and went on to remarry and have three more children. And the singer reveals that although his father was a loving parent to his half-brothers, he was unable to relate to the star and failed to take an interest in his music career.
He tells Britain's Daily Mail, "You know, my father never came to hear me play. Not ever. He was a tough and unemotional man. Hard. In the RAF (Royal Air Force). He was dismissive, disappointed and finally absent. I just wanted him to acknowledge what I'd done. But he never did."
"It wasn't that he didn't know how to relate to kids. He left us, remarried and had another family, and by all accounts was a great dad to them. It wasn't children, it was me."
More Elton John News
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns