Elton John Never Acknowledged by Father
Sir Elton John has opened up about his fractured relationship with his late father, revealing his dad never saw him perform. "The Rocket Man", who welcomed a son, Zachary, over Christmas, craved attention from his father, Stanley Dwight, as he was growing up.
Dwight divorced John's mother when the musician was 15 years old, and went on to remarry and have three more children. And the singer reveals that although his father was a loving parent to his half-brothers, he was unable to relate to the star and failed to take an interest in his music career.
He tells Britain's Daily Mail, "You know, my father never came to hear me play. Not ever. He was a tough and unemotional man. Hard. In the RAF (Royal Air Force). He was dismissive, disappointed and finally absent. I just wanted him to acknowledge what I'd done. But he never did."
"It wasn't that he didn't know how to relate to kids. He left us, remarried and had another family, and by all accounts was a great dad to them. It wasn't children, it was me."
More Elton John News
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'
- Wishes Turn Into Nightmares in 'Wish Upon' New Trailer
- Sade Convinces Drake Not to Diss Kendrick Lamar Over a Track
- Selena Gomez Cheers on The Weeknd at Brazilian Concert
- 'Power Rangers' Future Installment May Feature Female Green Ranger
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle