Elton John Never Acknowledged by Father
Sir Elton John has opened up about his fractured relationship with his late father, revealing his dad never saw him perform. "The Rocket Man", who welcomed a son, Zachary, over Christmas, craved attention from his father, Stanley Dwight, as he was growing up.
Dwight divorced John's mother when the musician was 15 years old, and went on to remarry and have three more children. And the singer reveals that although his father was a loving parent to his half-brothers, he was unable to relate to the star and failed to take an interest in his music career.
He tells Britain's Daily Mail, "You know, my father never came to hear me play. Not ever. He was a tough and unemotional man. Hard. In the RAF (Royal Air Force). He was dismissive, disappointed and finally absent. I just wanted him to acknowledge what I'd done. But he never did."
"It wasn't that he didn't know how to relate to kids. He left us, remarried and had another family, and by all accounts was a great dad to them. It wasn't children, it was me."
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences