Will Smith's 'Annie' Remake Officially Announced With Willow and Jay-Z Involved
Jay-Z has confirmed he's teaming up with Hollywood couple Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith to re-imagine the "Annie" musical for the big screen. The trio, who teamed up last year to bring hit musical "Fela!" to the Broadway stage, will be working together on a new version of "Annie", starring the Smiths' daughter Willow Smith, who Jay-Z signed to his Roc Nation label in 2010.
The three superstars will co-produce the film. According to reports, the partnership began over dinner with the Smiths, Overbrook Entertainment executive James Lassiter and the rap mogul, where the quartet decided to co-invest in the now successful beauty products line Carol's Daughter. They continued the partnership as co-producers of "Fela!".
Jay-Z has a little history with "Annie" - he sampled the musical's "It's the Hard Knock Life" in his hit "Hard Knock Life". Confirming the news, Jay-Z says, "The Overbrook Entertainment family and I have a unified vision. We've already produced a Tony Award-winning play and we're developing a true superstar in Willow. This venture into film development and production is a perfect next step with teams that are accomplished, creative, and innovative."
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Maksim Chmerkovskiy Will Return, Ryan Lochte Is in Talks for Season 23
- Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie for Her Birthday After Partying With Bronte Blampied
- Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj to Perform 'Side to Side' at 2016 MTV VMAs
- Inside Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom's Proposal Plans
- Christoph Waltz in Talks to Join James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- Kim Kardashian Flaunts Entire Breasts in Racy See-Through Top for a Photoshoot in Mexico
- The Weeknd Shares Snippet of His Cashmere Cat Collaboration 'Wild Love'
- Britney Spears Biopic Coming on Lifetime. Find Out Who Plays the Pop Star