Will Smith's 'Annie' Remake Officially Announced With Willow and Jay-Z Involved
Jay-Z has confirmed he's teaming up with Hollywood couple Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith to re-imagine the "Annie" musical for the big screen. The trio, who teamed up last year to bring hit musical "Fela!" to the Broadway stage, will be working together on a new version of "Annie", starring the Smiths' daughter Willow Smith, who Jay-Z signed to his Roc Nation label in 2010.
The three superstars will co-produce the film. According to reports, the partnership began over dinner with the Smiths, Overbrook Entertainment executive James Lassiter and the rap mogul, where the quartet decided to co-invest in the now successful beauty products line Carol's Daughter. They continued the partnership as co-producers of "Fela!".
Jay-Z has a little history with "Annie" - he sampled the musical's "It's the Hard Knock Life" in his hit "Hard Knock Life". Confirming the news, Jay-Z says, "The Overbrook Entertainment family and I have a unified vision. We've already produced a Tony Award-winning play and we're developing a true superstar in Willow. This venture into film development and production is a perfect next step with teams that are accomplished, creative, and innovative."
- Cathriona White's Letter Reveals Jim Carrey Called Her a 'Whore' and Gave Her STDs
- 50 Cent Starts 'Empire' Feud With Taraji P. Henson, Jussie Smollett Also Weighs In
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush
- Angelina Jolie's Ambition to Become a Head of the UN Might Cause Split From Brad Pitt
- Taylor Swift Debuts New Haircut, Parties With Gwyneth Paltrow, Mick Jagger at Liberty Ross' Birthday
- Watch Performances From Rihanna, Demi Lovato, Chris Martin and More at Global Citizen Festival 2016
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!