Will Smith's 'Annie' Remake Officially Announced With Willow and Jay-Z Involved
Jay-Z has confirmed he's teaming up with Hollywood couple Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith to re-imagine the "Annie" musical for the big screen. The trio, who teamed up last year to bring hit musical "Fela!" to the Broadway stage, will be working together on a new version of "Annie", starring the Smiths' daughter Willow Smith, who Jay-Z signed to his Roc Nation label in 2010.
The three superstars will co-produce the film. According to reports, the partnership began over dinner with the Smiths, Overbrook Entertainment executive James Lassiter and the rap mogul, where the quartet decided to co-invest in the now successful beauty products line Carol's Daughter. They continued the partnership as co-producers of "Fela!".
Jay-Z has a little history with "Annie" - he sampled the musical's "It's the Hard Knock Life" in his hit "Hard Knock Life". Confirming the news, Jay-Z says, "The Overbrook Entertainment family and I have a unified vision. We've already produced a Tony Award-winning play and we're developing a true superstar in Willow. This venture into film development and production is a perfect next step with teams that are accomplished, creative, and innovative."
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video
- Justin Bieber Strips Down to Underwear, Holds His Crotch in Bizarre Racy Picture
- Is Nick Jonas Dating Lily Collins? Here's the Truth