Oprah Winfrey to Build Relationship With Newly-Found Sister
Oprah Winfrey is planning to spend 2011 getting to know her newly-discovered half-sister because she wants to be a permanent part of her life. The TV titan introduced America to her half-sibling Patricia during a taping of her TV show, which aired on Monday, January 24, revealing her sister was secretly given up for adoption by their mother when Winfrey was nine years old.
They met for the first time back in November and Winfrey wants to make sure they can grow close. Speaking in an interview on her best friend Gayle King's radio show, Winfrey says, "I look forward to building a relationship with her. Having been burned a lot of times in other relationships, I'm the kind of person that would like to take it slow, build a relationship upon mutual respect and understanding."
"I am open to having a sisterly relationship... I feel that I really do like her... I think we have... the common interest of our mother. Everybody who's dealing with an ailing parent understands that process of getting care for them. And we're speaking regularly about that... She, coming into the family at this time, has been a great peace offering, a great symbol of peace-making in this family. I would say I see her as a gift."
Winfrey's mother, Vernita Lee, is currently recovering from a stroke suffered late last year.
More Oprah Winfrey News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie