Oprah Winfrey to Build Relationship With Newly-Found Sister
Oprah Winfrey is planning to spend 2011 getting to know her newly-discovered half-sister because she wants to be a permanent part of her life. The TV titan introduced America to her half-sibling Patricia during a taping of her TV show, which aired on Monday, January 24, revealing her sister was secretly given up for adoption by their mother when Winfrey was nine years old.
They met for the first time back in November and Winfrey wants to make sure they can grow close. Speaking in an interview on her best friend Gayle King's radio show, Winfrey says, "I look forward to building a relationship with her. Having been burned a lot of times in other relationships, I'm the kind of person that would like to take it slow, build a relationship upon mutual respect and understanding."
"I am open to having a sisterly relationship... I feel that I really do like her... I think we have... the common interest of our mother. Everybody who's dealing with an ailing parent understands that process of getting care for them. And we're speaking regularly about that... She, coming into the family at this time, has been a great peace offering, a great symbol of peace-making in this family. I would say I see her as a gift."
Winfrey's mother, Vernita Lee, is currently recovering from a stroke suffered late last year.
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'