Robson Green & Jerome Flynn Sent Cease and Desist Letter to Simon Cowell
British actors Robson Green and Jerome Flynn grew so tired of music mogul Simon Cowell's efforts to turn them into pop stars they requested he legally be prevented from contacting them. Cowell took seven months to persuade the TV stars to record an album after their version of the Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody" became a hit on 1980s drama "Soldier, Soldier".
The duo went on to record a string of chart hits that never would have been if talent spotter Cowell hadn't ignored letters from their lawyers. The mogul became obsessed with Robson & Jerome after record stores around Britain started calling the label where he worked as an A&R man looking for copies of an "Unchained Melody" single that never existed.
Speaking candidly as part of the "Oprah Presents Master Class" TV series, Cowell recalls, "One of the girls said, 'They're all trying to buy a record that was on a show last night by these two actors called Robson & Jerome.' I'd never heard of them; I didn't even know what the show was."
"It took me about seven months to persuade these two to sign a recording contract with me. I drove them so mad that I was actually sent a solicitor's letter... saying, 'You've got to stop harassing my client.' The reason I kept doing it was is because a, I knew I could persuade them to do it and b, I knew it was gonna be successful... We had the biggest-selling single, biggest-selling album that year."
- Amber Tamblyn Expecting Her First Child With David Cross
- Macklemore Fighting His Demons in 'Drug Dealer' Music Video
- Gerard Butler Set to Return as Mike Banning in 'Angel Has Fallen'
- Bruno Mars Describes Adele as Diva: 'She's Got All This Attitude'
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes