'Glee' Smashed Elvis Presley's Record in U.K.
The cast of "Glee" has smashed Elvis Presley's U.K. pop chart record by becoming the fastest act to score 20 top 40 hits. The all-singing, all-dancing TV show, starring Lea Michele and Matthew Morrison, has wowed viewers since it debuted in 2009 and fans have flocked to buy songs performed on the series.
"Glee"'s Britney Spears tribute episode aired in the U.K. last week, and the cast's rendition of "Toxic" entered the charts on Sunday, January 23, giving the show's stars their 20th hit in just 57 weeks - 31 weeks ahead of Elvis' record.
Martin Talbot, the managing director of the Official Charts Company, tells Britain's The Independent, "The success emphasizes how digital downloading has transformed the consumer's engagement with music. The Glee cast are superstars of the digital music age."
- Laura Prepon Expecting First Child With Ben Foster
- Tom Brady on His Friendship With Donald Trump: Why Is It Such a Big Deal?
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' Recap: Technical Difficulty Causes More Termination
- 'Saturday Night Live' Writer Is Suspended for Mocking Barron Trump on Twitter
- Soulja Boy Charged on Suspicion of Illegally Possessing Firearms
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Tension Between Corinne and Other Girls Is About to Get Physical
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Gets Official Title, Mark Hamill Reacts
- Michelle Williams Reveals She Was 'Inconsolable' After Leaving Shared Home With Heath Ledger