Michelle Obama Criticized for Wearing Alexander McQueen Dress
Designer Oscar De La Renta has taken aim at America's First Lady Michelle Obama for wearing an Alexander McQueen gown during a recent state dinner for China's President Hu Jintao. Obama's red dress was a big hit at the official event on Wednesday, January 19, but De La Renta wasn't a fan - he feels Obama should have worn something designed by an American stylist.
The fashion icon tells WWD.com, "My understanding is that the visit was to promote American-Chinese trade - American products in China and Chinese products in America. Why do you wear European clothes?"
"I'm not talking about my clothes, my business. I'm old, and I don't need it. But there are a lot of young people, very talented people here (in America) who do."
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics