Brother of 'Harry Potter' Actress Jailed for 6 Months
The brother of "Harry Potter" star Afshan Azad has been jailed for six months after pleading guilty to assaulting the actress last year. Azad, who played witch Padma Patil in four of the boy wizard movies, alleged her father Abdul and brother Ashraf had attacked her at her home in Manchester, England last May.
The relatives were said to have argued with the Muslim star, 22, after overhearing her talking on the phone to her Hindu boyfriend. The altercation reportedly escalated and turned violent, with the pair threatening to kill the actress, after she refused their demands to end the relationship.
Death-threat charges against Azad's father and brother were later dropped by prosecutors following a desperate plea from the star, and they were both cleared at Manchester Crown Court, England in December.
Azad's father was bound to keep the peace for 12 months and her brother was banned from contacting his sister at her new home in London. However, Ashraf Azad admitted to a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and was ordered to serve jail time during sentencing on Friday, January 22.
- Donald Trump Calls 'SNL' Unwatchable, Alec Baldwin Reacts
- Jensen Ackles and Danneel Harris Welcome Twin Babies
- 'Sense8' Announces Premiere Dates for Christmas Special and Season 2
- Watch: Shawn Mendes Makes His Debut on 'SNL'
- Alec Baldwin's Donald Trump Can't Stop Tweeting During National Security Briefing on 'SNL'
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball