Pink Explains Why She Makes Controversial Video
Pink has defended her decision to include shocking images of self-harm, attempted suicide and anorexia in the video for her new single - insisting she wants to raise awareness of the controversial issues.
The pregnant pop star has debuted the promo for her new track "F**kin' Perfect", which sees "Napoleon Dynamite" actress Tina Marjorino playing a teenager struggling with bullying and self-esteem issues who turns to cutting herself.
Pink has now opened up about the controversial video, revealing she fully expected it to "ruffle some feathers", but hopes viewers will take a positive message from it. In a post on her Pinkspage.com website, she writes, "I'm sure my newest video for F**kin' Perfect will be much like some of my other videos, which basically means I expect it will ruffle some feathers..."
"I want art to make me think. In order to do that, it may p**s me off, or make me uncomfortable. That promotes awareness and change, or at least some discussion. That is my intention... Cutting, and suicide, two very different symptoms of the same problem, are gaining on us... A lot of us have seen certain starlets showing off their latest scars on a red carpet somewhere, usually right before they head back to their favorite rehab."
"It's a problem, and it's something we should talk about. We can choose to ignore the problem, and therefore ignore this video, but that won't make it go away. I don't support or encourage suicide or cutting. I support the kids out there... I want them to know I'm aware. I have been there. I see them. Sometimes that's all it takes."
Pink also admits her pregnancy made the experience of filming the promo even more harrowing for her. She adds, "Making this video was a very emotional experience for me, as was writing this song. I have a life inside of me, and I want her or him to know that I will accept him or her with open and loving and welcoming arms. And though I will prepare this little munchkin for a sometimes cruel world, I will also equip this kid to see all the beauty in it as well."
More Pink News
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!