Macy Gray Goes on With Israel Concert Despite Protests
Macy Gray feels so tormented about agreeing to perform concerts in Israel next month, she has taken the unusual step of asking her fans whether she should cancel the gigs or not. The "I Try" hitmaker is scheduled to play a series of shows in Tel Aviv, but she has come under pressure from activists to ax the concerts as part of a boycott over the lengthy Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Gray took to the internet on Monday, January 17 to ask for advice, writing in a post on Facebook.com, "I'm getting a lot of letters from activists urging/begging me to boycott by NOT performing... What the Israeli government is doing to the Palestinians is disgusting, but I wana (sic) go. I gotta lotta (sic) fans there I don't want to cancel on and I don't know how my NOT going changes anything. What do you think? Stay or go?"
After receiving over 4,000 messages from her devotees, Gray has opted to go ahead with the shows. In a post on her Twitter.com page, she writes, "Dear Israel fans. Me and the band will be there in 20 days. Can't wait. See you then. Peace."
But Gray pointed out that despite her decision, she is still against the conflict, adding, "It is overwhelming (the response). I posted on Facebook. Wasn't expecting any of this. But I am listening. And I don't support oppression."
Last summer Elvis Costello axed shows in the country because of the "grave and complex" sensitivities there.
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?