Macy Gray Goes on With Israel Concert Despite Protests
Macy Gray feels so tormented about agreeing to perform concerts in Israel next month, she has taken the unusual step of asking her fans whether she should cancel the gigs or not. The "I Try" hitmaker is scheduled to play a series of shows in Tel Aviv, but she has come under pressure from activists to ax the concerts as part of a boycott over the lengthy Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Gray took to the internet on Monday, January 17 to ask for advice, writing in a post on Facebook.com, "I'm getting a lot of letters from activists urging/begging me to boycott by NOT performing... What the Israeli government is doing to the Palestinians is disgusting, but I wana (sic) go. I gotta lotta (sic) fans there I don't want to cancel on and I don't know how my NOT going changes anything. What do you think? Stay or go?"
After receiving over 4,000 messages from her devotees, Gray has opted to go ahead with the shows. In a post on her Twitter.com page, she writes, "Dear Israel fans. Me and the band will be there in 20 days. Can't wait. See you then. Peace."
But Gray pointed out that despite her decision, she is still against the conflict, adding, "It is overwhelming (the response). I posted on Facebook. Wasn't expecting any of this. But I am listening. And I don't support oppression."
Last summer Elvis Costello axed shows in the country because of the "grave and complex" sensitivities there.
- Comic-Con: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Footage and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Villain Revealed
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reunites With Nina Agdal After 'Caught Flirting' With Another Woman at His Gala
- Watch Henry Cavill Walk Around in Mask and Hilariously Prank Will Smith at Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: New 'Fantastic Beasts' Trailer Shows Newt Scamander Recapturing the Creatures
- Gwen Stefani's Son Kingston Sings Blake Shelton's Song While Face-Swapping With Him
- Comic-Con: Check Out Trailers for 'Flash' Season 3, 'Arrow' Season 5 and 'Legends' Season 2
- Refusing to Enter Rehab, Lamar Odom Walks Out of Family's Intervention
- Kristen Bell Shares First Photos From Her Wedding While Tearing Up Talking About Hubby Dax Shepard