Macy Gray Goes on With Israel Concert Despite Protests
Macy Gray feels so tormented about agreeing to perform concerts in Israel next month, she has taken the unusual step of asking her fans whether she should cancel the gigs or not. The "I Try" hitmaker is scheduled to play a series of shows in Tel Aviv, but she has come under pressure from activists to ax the concerts as part of a boycott over the lengthy Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Gray took to the internet on Monday, January 17 to ask for advice, writing in a post on Facebook.com, "I'm getting a lot of letters from activists urging/begging me to boycott by NOT performing... What the Israeli government is doing to the Palestinians is disgusting, but I wana (sic) go. I gotta lotta (sic) fans there I don't want to cancel on and I don't know how my NOT going changes anything. What do you think? Stay or go?"
After receiving over 4,000 messages from her devotees, Gray has opted to go ahead with the shows. In a post on her Twitter.com page, she writes, "Dear Israel fans. Me and the band will be there in 20 days. Can't wait. See you then. Peace."
But Gray pointed out that despite her decision, she is still against the conflict, adding, "It is overwhelming (the response). I posted on Facebook. Wasn't expecting any of this. But I am listening. And I don't support oppression."
Last summer Elvis Costello axed shows in the country because of the "grave and complex" sensitivities there.
- 'Toy Story': Sad Backstory of Andy's Father Debunked by Writer
- BET Awards 2017: Beyonce Dominates Full Winner List
- Report: Prince Harry Plans to Give Meghan Markle Engagement Ring Made From Princess Diana's Bracelet
- Is Nicki Minaj on Safaree Samuels' Side in Meek Mill Beef?
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 3.06 Sneak Peeks: 'More People Will Die'
- BET Awards 2017: Watch Performances by Bruno Mars, Kendrick Lamar, Migos, Chris Brown and More
- Disgusted Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Scott Disick Is 'Using' Bella Thorne
- Keith Urban Celebrates 11th Anniversary With Nicole Kidman: 'You Still Feel Like My Girlfriend'