Arnold Schwarzenegger's Father-in-Law Dies at 95
Arnold Schwarzenegger's father-in-law Sargent Shriver has died at the age of 95. Shriver, who founded the U.S. Peace Corps in the early 1960s before becoming a leading American philanthropist and beloved politician, was father to Schwarzenegger's wife Maria Shriver.
He was also a one-time U.S. vice-presidential candidate. Shriver announced he was battling Alzheimer's disease in 2003.
A statement from President Barack Obama reads, "I was deeply saddened to learn about the passing of Sargent Shriver, one of the brightest lights of the greatest generation. Over the course of his long and distinguished career, Sarge came to embody the idea of public service."
"Of his many enduring contributions, he will perhaps best be remembered as the founding director of the Peace Corps, helping make it possible for generations of Americans to serve as ambassadors of goodwill abroad. His loss will be felt in all of the communities around the world that have been touched by Peace Corps volunteers over the past half century and all of the lives that have been made better by his efforts to address inequality and injustice here at home."
Shriver is survived by his five children with late wife Eunice, who died in 2009.
More Arnold Schwarzenegger News
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist