Aretha Franklin's Biopic Moves Forward, Halle Berry Says No
Aretha Franklin has confirmed producers are moving forward with plans to bring her life story to the big screen in a new biopic even though Halle Berry has denied she's set to sign on for the lead role. Late last year, the soul legend revealed she was working with movie bosses to adapt her autobiography "Aretha: From These Roots" into a movie, with the singer naming Halle Berry as her favorite to star.
Franklin, who has been recovering from an undisclosed illness over the last few months, has now confirmed the project is no longer just a dream and will be rolling into production very soon. In a phone interview with "The Wendy Williams Show", Franklin says, "For the last four years, we've been talking about (the film), and I have had a number of offers. Unfortunately, they were not good offers."
"Now, we have something on the table. They have all of the financing on one project... (and are) in the process of writing things for me to approve... Halle Berry is my pick... There's a young Aretha that has yet to be named."
But Berry has spoken out to dismiss rumors she's been lined up to play Franklin, insisting she wouldn't be able to tackle such a musical role. She tells E! Online, "If I could carry a tune, I'd consider it. Someone should tell Aretha that I can't do her justice."
- Kylie Jenner Teases Her Secret Project in Seductive Instagram Photos
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Could Have More Than Six Episodes
- Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo and Michael Moore Stage a Star-Studded Anti-Trump Protest in NYC
- 'Good Behavior' Gets Season 2 Renewal
- Hailee Steinfeld Confirms Her Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3'
- Jenna Dewan Having 'Big Fight' With Channing Tatum Over Her Nude Photo
- Katy Perry Goes Blonde as She Throws Surprise Birthday Bash for Orlando Bloom
- Ariana Grande Flaunts Her Slender Body in Pics to Tease Her Upcoming Tour