Aretha Franklin's Biopic Moves Forward, Halle Berry Says No
Aretha Franklin has confirmed producers are moving forward with plans to bring her life story to the big screen in a new biopic even though Halle Berry has denied she's set to sign on for the lead role. Late last year, the soul legend revealed she was working with movie bosses to adapt her autobiography "Aretha: From These Roots" into a movie, with the singer naming Halle Berry as her favorite to star.
Franklin, who has been recovering from an undisclosed illness over the last few months, has now confirmed the project is no longer just a dream and will be rolling into production very soon. In a phone interview with "The Wendy Williams Show", Franklin says, "For the last four years, we've been talking about (the film), and I have had a number of offers. Unfortunately, they were not good offers."
"Now, we have something on the table. They have all of the financing on one project... (and are) in the process of writing things for me to approve... Halle Berry is my pick... There's a young Aretha that has yet to be named."
But Berry has spoken out to dismiss rumors she's been lined up to play Franklin, insisting she wouldn't be able to tackle such a musical role. She tells E! Online, "If I could carry a tune, I'd consider it. Someone should tell Aretha that I can't do her justice."
- So Cute! Liam Payne Shares Rare Photo of Him and Son Bear in Matching Yeezy Trainers
- Donald Trump Stops a Call With the Irish PM to Compliment Female Reporter's 'Nice Smile'
- Kristen Wiig Joins Jimmy Fallon in Funny Doctor Skit of New Mad Lib Theater
- Queen Biopic 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Finds Its Drummer in 'X-Men' Actor Ben Hardy
- Kris Jenner and David Foster Reportedly Have a Dinner Date
- Chrissy Teigen Accidentally Flashes Bare Boob When Dancing With John Legend During His Concert
- Watch Spider-Man Make Quite an Entrance at 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Premiere
- Swimsuit-Clad Lea Michele Flashes Her Derriere During Hawaiian Getaway