Aretha Franklin's Biopic Moves Forward, Halle Berry Says No
Aretha Franklin has confirmed producers are moving forward with plans to bring her life story to the big screen in a new biopic even though Halle Berry has denied she's set to sign on for the lead role. Late last year, the soul legend revealed she was working with movie bosses to adapt her autobiography "Aretha: From These Roots" into a movie, with the singer naming Halle Berry as her favorite to star.
Franklin, who has been recovering from an undisclosed illness over the last few months, has now confirmed the project is no longer just a dream and will be rolling into production very soon. In a phone interview with "The Wendy Williams Show", Franklin says, "For the last four years, we've been talking about (the film), and I have had a number of offers. Unfortunately, they were not good offers."
"Now, we have something on the table. They have all of the financing on one project... (and are) in the process of writing things for me to approve... Halle Berry is my pick... There's a young Aretha that has yet to be named."
But Berry has spoken out to dismiss rumors she's been lined up to play Franklin, insisting she wouldn't be able to tackle such a musical role. She tells E! Online, "If I could carry a tune, I'd consider it. Someone should tell Aretha that I can't do her justice."
- Adele Doesn't Care About Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's Split, She Clarifies
- Video: Justin Bieber Gets Into a Fight in German Bar
- Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Share First Photo of Baby Dusty Rose
- Ryan Murphy Admits to 'Infighting' on 'Glee' Set and Cast Member Hookups
- Mariah Carey Wears No Underwear in Sheer White Dress During Romantic Getaway With Fiance
- Exes Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Trapped in Elevator for Four Hours. Was It Awkward?
- Mom Material? Katy Perry Bonds With Orlando Bloom's Son Flynn at Shanghai Disneyland
- Listen to 'Trolls' Soundtrack Featuring Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani and Ariana Grande