Aretha Franklin's Biopic Moves Forward, Halle Berry Says No
Aretha Franklin has confirmed producers are moving forward with plans to bring her life story to the big screen in a new biopic even though Halle Berry has denied she's set to sign on for the lead role. Late last year, the soul legend revealed she was working with movie bosses to adapt her autobiography "Aretha: From These Roots" into a movie, with the singer naming Halle Berry as her favorite to star.
Franklin, who has been recovering from an undisclosed illness over the last few months, has now confirmed the project is no longer just a dream and will be rolling into production very soon. In a phone interview with "The Wendy Williams Show", Franklin says, "For the last four years, we've been talking about (the film), and I have had a number of offers. Unfortunately, they were not good offers."
"Now, we have something on the table. They have all of the financing on one project... (and are) in the process of writing things for me to approve... Halle Berry is my pick... There's a young Aretha that has yet to be named."
But Berry has spoken out to dismiss rumors she's been lined up to play Franklin, insisting she wouldn't be able to tackle such a musical role. She tells E! Online, "If I could carry a tune, I'd consider it. Someone should tell Aretha that I can't do her justice."
More Aretha Franklin News
- Baby Before Marriage? Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Reportedly Expecting Their First Child
- 'DWTS' Pair Sharna Burgess and Bonner Bolton Fuel Dating Rumors With Flirty Night Out
- Kevin Hart Creates Dimwitted Superhero in First Trailer for 'Captain Underpants'
- Drake Getting Sade's Face Tattooed on His Rib Amid Dating Rumors
- Wiz Khalifa and Juicy J's New Music Video for 'Cell Ready' Is Smoking Hot
- Inside Celine Dion's Diva Behavior on 'The Voice': 'She Was Extremely Entitled'
- Miley Cryrus and Liam Hemsworth Build Playground at Malibu House - Is Baby on the Way?
- 'Spider-Man' Spin-Off About Black Cat and Silver Sable Is in Development