Ten Fascinating Facts About Betty White Who Turns 89
Veteran actress Betty White will celebrate the beginning of her last year as an octogenarian on Monday, January 17. The beloved funnywoman turns 89.
The Emmy award-winning star rose to fame hosting her own radio shows before moving into TV with hit programs including "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and "The Golden Girls". Recently she's enjoyed a career revival, appearing in "The Proposal" alongside Sandra Bullock in 2009 and hosting comedy favorite "Saturday Night Live" last year after a Facebook.com campaign by fans.
To celebrate White's birthday and as a toast to her return to success, WENN has compiled 10 fascinating facts about the star who keeps on shining:
- White moved to Los Angeles when she was two years old during America's Great Depression.
- She attended the Horace Mann School - the same high school as Angelina Jolie, Nicolas Cage, Lenny Kravitz and David Schwimmer.
- The actress is of German and Greek ancestry.
- In 1955, White was made the honorary mayor of Hollywood.
- When Rue McCLanahan died in summer 2010, she became the last surviving member of the four The Golden Girls.
- The veteran star admitted to having cosmetic surgery before starring in 1985's "The Golden Girls", despite the show being about growing old.
- She is an avid animal welfare activist and works with a number of organizations.
- In November 2010, the USDA Forest Service, along with Smokey Bear, made her an honorary forest ranger - one of her lifelong ambitions.
- White received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1988 - placed next to the star bearing the name of her late husband, Allen Ludden.
- She has guest starred on shows including "Ally McBeal", "That '70s Show", "Joey", "My Name Is Earl" and "Malcolm in the Middle".
- Justin Bieber Wins 8 Titles in Guinness World Records 2017 Edition
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Poses Completely Naked for Paper Magazine
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters