Zsa Zsa Gabor Had Successful Amputation But Still Frail
Ailing actress Zsa Zsa Gabor underwent surgery to amputate half of her right leg after a serious gangrene infection spread to her bone. Gabor was admitted to Los Angeles' UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center on January 2 after medics told the star's husband, Prince Frederic von Anhalt, that immediate action was required to treat the infection.
They prescribed the 93-year-old TV star a course of strong antibiotics as an alternative to severing the limb, but the medicine was ineffective and von Anhalt gave doctors permission to go ahead with the operation last week. Surgeons tried to hold off the amputation by attempting to remove a blood clot from Gabor's leg as a last-ditch attempt, but the gangrene has now penetrated the bone, leaving medics with no other choice.
The actress' spokesman, John Blanchette, revealed the amputation had been scheduled for Friday, January 14 and von Anhalt had been warned Gabor only stood a "50-50" chance of survival. He said, "They (doctors) said it was very dangerous, but they had no other option. It (infection) would kill her otherwise."
After the two-hour operation at the hospital, Blanchette said, "The operation was a success. Her blood pressure is normal, she is resting and she will be in the hospital for at least another week or so. Everybody is relieved."
Meanwhile, Dr. David Rigberg, associate professor of vascular surgery at the medical center, said in a statement, "The surgery today went well. However, she is in frail health so we will continue to monitor her closely."
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed
- Get First Look at 'Outlander' Season 3
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Confirm Doctor Strange's Appearance in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Donald Trump Once Body-Shamed Kim Kardashian Too. This Is What He Said About Her
- Lena Dunham and Allison Williams Tearfully Say Goodbye to 'Girls' as Filming Wraps
- These Photos of Jim Carrey and Late Ex Suggest Her Marriage to Estranged Husband Was Fake