Ian McKellen Almost Ditched 'The Hobbit'
Sir Ian McKellen considered turning down his part in "The Hobbit" after beginning to question whether he wanted to make such a huge movie commitment at the age of 71. The British actor confirmed this week that he will be reprising his role as wizard Gandalf in the long-delayed "Lord of the Rings: prequel, which will be split into two films.
But McKellen reveals he thought about handing the job over to another actor so he could concentrate on theater roles while he is still fit enough to continue working. In a post on his official blog, he writes, "All I had to decide was what to do with the time that is given me. I'm 71 and fit: though at my age who knows what accident is 'round the next corner?' For a year or more, I have been arranging my professional commitments around the possibility of The Hobbit films starting at almost anytime..."
"As my agent continued to negotiate with Warner Brothers, I kept wondering was Gandalf what I most wanted to do, more than a new play for instance or indeed a new part? Sequels aren't necessarily as rewarding to act in as their originals. Could I let Gandalf go? Would anyone else care if I did? Elsewhere, does anyone care that Michael Gambon was not the first to play Dumbledore (in the Harry Potter franchise)?"
McKellen eventually signed up to the movie after negotiating a number of breaks in filming which would allow him to take on other projects, adding, "My worry that I could not easily escape from Middle Earth was lifted."
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?
- Iggy Azalea Teases Collaboration With Zedd After Pushing Back Her Album's Release
- Kanye West Ready to Take Legal Action if Sex Tapes Leak
- Yikes! Kendall and Kylie Jenner Reportedly in 'Bizarre Love Triangle' With Scott Disick
- New 'Luke Cage' Set Photos Reveal Villain Diamondback
- Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's Marriage Reportedly Crumbles. Here's the Truth
- Prince Hated the Idea of Appearing in a Music Video With Madonna