Aretha Franklin Affirms 'Superb' Health Through Phone Call
Aretha Franklin stunned daytime TV viewers on Wednesday, January 12 when she called into America's "The Wendy Williams Show" to assure fans she is not gravely ill, insisting her health is "superb". The soul superstar was forced to pull out of a series of end-of-year shows in 2010 after falling sick, with many outlets reporting she had been diagnosed with deadly pancreatic cancer.
She underwent surgery on December 2, 2010 to treat the mystery problem and has spent the past few weeks recovering from the successful operation - although the singer has so far refused to divulge details about what was ailing her. But the 68-year-old "R.E.S.P.E.C.T" singer called into the TV talk show on Wednesday and sounded strong as she revealed she was relaxing at a casino hotel in her hometown of Detroit, Michigan.
Franklin told host Wendy Williams she had two more weeks to recover from her surgery and will be "looking for a fabulous beach" when she begins her travels again. She also vowed to reschedule the concert dates she missed.
The brief phone interview marks the first time Franklin has spoken on air about her ailment. She previously opened up to JET magazine, but refused to reveal the cause of her health crisis.
She said, "I don't have to talk about my health with anybody other than my doctors (but) the problem has been resolved. I am not one to do a lot of talking about my personal health or business. There are a lot of people who will talk about anything, as long as there is somebody listening. That's not Aretha."
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance