Aretha Franklin Affirms 'Superb' Health Through Phone Call
Aretha Franklin stunned daytime TV viewers on Wednesday, January 12 when she called into America's "The Wendy Williams Show" to assure fans she is not gravely ill, insisting her health is "superb". The soul superstar was forced to pull out of a series of end-of-year shows in 2010 after falling sick, with many outlets reporting she had been diagnosed with deadly pancreatic cancer.
She underwent surgery on December 2, 2010 to treat the mystery problem and has spent the past few weeks recovering from the successful operation - although the singer has so far refused to divulge details about what was ailing her. But the 68-year-old "R.E.S.P.E.C.T" singer called into the TV talk show on Wednesday and sounded strong as she revealed she was relaxing at a casino hotel in her hometown of Detroit, Michigan.
Franklin told host Wendy Williams she had two more weeks to recover from her surgery and will be "looking for a fabulous beach" when she begins her travels again. She also vowed to reschedule the concert dates she missed.
The brief phone interview marks the first time Franklin has spoken on air about her ailment. She previously opened up to JET magazine, but refused to reveal the cause of her health crisis.
She said, "I don't have to talk about my health with anybody other than my doctors (but) the problem has been resolved. I am not one to do a lot of talking about my personal health or business. There are a lot of people who will talk about anything, as long as there is somebody listening. That's not Aretha."
More Aretha Franklin News
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones