Aretha Franklin Affirms 'Superb' Health Through Phone Call
Aretha Franklin stunned daytime TV viewers on Wednesday, January 12 when she called into America's "The Wendy Williams Show" to assure fans she is not gravely ill, insisting her health is "superb". The soul superstar was forced to pull out of a series of end-of-year shows in 2010 after falling sick, with many outlets reporting she had been diagnosed with deadly pancreatic cancer.
She underwent surgery on December 2, 2010 to treat the mystery problem and has spent the past few weeks recovering from the successful operation - although the singer has so far refused to divulge details about what was ailing her. But the 68-year-old "R.E.S.P.E.C.T" singer called into the TV talk show on Wednesday and sounded strong as she revealed she was relaxing at a casino hotel in her hometown of Detroit, Michigan.
Franklin told host Wendy Williams she had two more weeks to recover from her surgery and will be "looking for a fabulous beach" when she begins her travels again. She also vowed to reschedule the concert dates she missed.
The brief phone interview marks the first time Franklin has spoken on air about her ailment. She previously opened up to JET magazine, but refused to reveal the cause of her health crisis.
She said, "I don't have to talk about my health with anybody other than my doctors (but) the problem has been resolved. I am not one to do a lot of talking about my personal health or business. There are a lot of people who will talk about anything, as long as there is somebody listening. That's not Aretha."
More Aretha Franklin News
- Fifth Harmony Heats Up the 'DWTS' Stage With Sexy 'All in My Head' Performance
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace's Murder Trial Begins, His Chilling Line Before the Shooting Is Revealed
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: 'Civil War' and 'Batman v Superman' Dominate Movie Nomination
- 'The Voice' Crowns the Winner, Cee-Lo Green Returns in Star-Studded Finale
- Check Out Christina Aguilera's Powerful Duet With Ariana Grande on 'The Voice'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Finale: Who Wins the Mirror Ball Trophy?
- Niall Horan Blasts 'Abusive' Fans Who Keep Him 'Awake at Night'
- New 'Finding Dory' Trailer: Meet the Younger Version of Dory