Aretha Franklin Affirms 'Superb' Health Through Phone Call
Aretha Franklin stunned daytime TV viewers on Wednesday, January 12 when she called into America's "The Wendy Williams Show" to assure fans she is not gravely ill, insisting her health is "superb". The soul superstar was forced to pull out of a series of end-of-year shows in 2010 after falling sick, with many outlets reporting she had been diagnosed with deadly pancreatic cancer.
She underwent surgery on December 2, 2010 to treat the mystery problem and has spent the past few weeks recovering from the successful operation - although the singer has so far refused to divulge details about what was ailing her. But the 68-year-old "R.E.S.P.E.C.T" singer called into the TV talk show on Wednesday and sounded strong as she revealed she was relaxing at a casino hotel in her hometown of Detroit, Michigan.
Franklin told host Wendy Williams she had two more weeks to recover from her surgery and will be "looking for a fabulous beach" when she begins her travels again. She also vowed to reschedule the concert dates she missed.
The brief phone interview marks the first time Franklin has spoken on air about her ailment. She previously opened up to JET magazine, but refused to reveal the cause of her health crisis.
She said, "I don't have to talk about my health with anybody other than my doctors (but) the problem has been resolved. I am not one to do a lot of talking about my personal health or business. There are a lot of people who will talk about anything, as long as there is somebody listening. That's not Aretha."
- Another Dig at Zayn Malik? Listen to Little Mix's Catchy New Track 'You Gotta Not'
- Cuteness Overload! Chrissy Teigen Dresses Daughter Luna as Banana, Minnie Mouse and Others
- Daisy Ridley Responds to 'Sexist' Claims That Rey Is Mary Sue in 'The Force Awakens'
- Amber Heard Reportedly Dating a Musician After Johnny Depp Split. Who's Her New Man?
- NBC Announces Next Live Musical 'Bye Bye Birdie' Starring Jennifer Lopez
- Iggy Azalea's Former Fiance Nick Young Welcomes Baby No. 2 With His Other Ex
- Felicity Jones Leads the Rebel Alliance in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Pic
- Is Mariah Carey's 'Close Relationship' With a Male Dancer to Blame for James Packer Split?