Madonna Determined to Expand Malawi Schools
Madonna has announced plans to expand her Malawi girls' school in a bid to provide more children in the African country with quality education. The superstar opened the Raising Malawi Academy for Girls in April 2010 but reveals she's already in the process of "implementing several changes" to improve it.
A statement from Madonna reads, "My original vision is now on a much bigger scale. I want to reach thousands not hundreds of girls. I want to do more and I want to do it better... I remain deeply committed and am more passionate than ever about helping the children of Malawi - especially the girls. In a country where only 33 per cent of Malawian girls attend secondary school, I realize that the plans we had in place for the Raising Malawi Academy for Girls simply would not serve enough children."
The singer has plans to build even more schools, and vows to continue with her involvement. She adds, "This is a larger challenge than I thought, but I welcome it. We are focused on an approach which builds schools within communities across the country."
"We are currently determining the size, location, staffing and curriculum of the schools. I will continue to monitor the process of reaching these goals here and through my ongoing visits to Malawi."
More Madonna News
- Dakota Fanning's Parents Are Divorcing After 27 Years of Marriage
- Kevin Jonas Welcomes His Second Child With Wife Danielle
- Mariah Carey's Rep Reveals Lovers' Quarrel in Greece Leads to Her Split From James Packer
- 'Will and Grace' Revival in the Works
- Jealous Rob Kardashian Under Investigation for Threatening Blac Chyna's Alleged Lover
- 'Cormoran Strike' Series Based on J.K. Rowling's Novels Lands at HBO
- Miley Cyrus Talks Engagement Ring That She Puts Back On After Liam Hemsworth Reconciliation
- Raven-Symone Leaving 'The View' For 'That's So Raven' Spin-Off