Michael Douglas Orders 'Rich' Paparazzi to Pay Up
Michael Douglas is urging the photographers who got rich from their "macabre" photographs of him during his 2010 throat cancer battle to give some of the cash they made to charity. The movie star admits it became a chore to face the paparazzi as he tried to battle his health crisis in private, and he fears their shots may have been "toughed up" to make him look more gaunt and sick than he really was.
Douglas admits the photos that appeared in the tabloids worried friends and prompted his father Kirk Douglas to jet to New York from Los Angeles - and now he thinks it's payback time. In a new "Today" and "Dateline" NBC TV interview, the latest celebrity cancer survivor says, "They're (paparazzi) there every day. I guess curiosity's gotten them a lot of coverage... and there's so many outlets now these days."
"There was sort of a macabre enjoyment out of sort of watching me go down there for a while, I felt, by the paparazzi... You want to share (and) give 25 per cent to the United Nations or my favourite charity, you know? Cancer research? Why (do they) have the right to take your own identity, 100 per cent selfishly for your own gains?"
The constant scrutiny gave Douglas a taste of what it must be like for today's hot young stars who are never out of the tabloids. He adds, "I just feel for all these young kids. I mean, the generations now, with the amount of paparazzi that they have and these video cameras... you just can't do anything."
- 'Fate of the Furious' Will Start a New Trilogy, Vin Diesel Says
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Her Body in Gucci Mane's 'Make Love' Music Video
- See David Beckham's Face Ruined for 'King Arthur' Movie!
- Lamar Odom Admits to Drugs Abuse and Multiple Affairs During Khloe Kardashian Marriage
- Pennywise the Clown Preys on Kids in 'It' Teaser Trailer
- Portia de Rossi Wants Ellen DeGeneres to Enter Rehab
- Kelly Ripa Involved in Drug Overdose Scandal
- Justin Timberlake Teases His Upcoming Collab With Timbaland and Pharrell