Physician Busy Texting While Michael Jackson on Cardiac Arrest
Michael Jackson's physician has been accused of wasting time texting and making cellphone calls before contacting emergency services after finding the King of Pop unconscious in his bedroom in the third day of a hearing into the details surrounding the pop superstar's death.
Dr. Conrad Murray, who has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter charges, is trying to avoid a court trial - but evidence is beginning to pile up against him. Following testimony from bodyguards and aides - suggesting the doctor acted inappropriately in the minutes after Jackson's death in June, 2009 - Murray's cellphone records were presented to the court on Thursday, January 6 by prosecutors.
Lawyers fighting for a trial used the documents to prove Murray spent time making personal calls texting during the period authorities say he should have been closely monitoring his client Jackson's vital signs. In the five hours before Murray discovered that his famous patient had stopped breathing, he made 11 phone calls on two different phones - with three conversations leading directly to the moment he realized Jackson was in cardiac arrest lasting for a total of 45 minutes.
Prosecutors have accused Dr. Murray of "extreme deviation" from the standard of medical care. They claim the phone records show he was distracted and not paying attention to the singer. The records also show the call Murray made to Jackson's personal assistant after he found the star in cardiac arrest. He also sent two text messages immediately afterwards - before he instructed a bodyguard to call emergency services.
Previously at the hearing, the security guard, Alberto Alvarez, testified Murray asked him to get rid of an IV bag containing a milky-white substance, believed to be anesthetic Propofol, and "bag up" various vials and needles in Jackson's bedroom. Jackson died from an overdose of Propofol. Dr. Murray has been charged with administering the drug. His lawyers argue Jackson administered it himself. The hearing continues.
More Michael Jackson News
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift
- Fans Petition 'Star Wars' to Include First Gay Character to Honor Orlando Victims
- Get to Know More About 'The Walking Dead' Villain Negan! His Backstory Is Revealed in Comics
- Rihanna Shares 'Saucy' Video of Her Crotch
- Paris Hilton Likes a Shady Meme to Remind Kanye West She Made Kim Kardashian Famous
- Dwayne Johnson Shares New Picture From 'Fast and Furious 8' Set
- Calvin Harris Also Moves On - The DJ Is Surrounded by Sexy Ladies on a Yacht
- Video: Prince Harry Joins Coldplay Onstage During Kensington Palace Concert