Video: Lea Michele Urges People to Boycott Horse-Drawn Carriages
"Glee" star Lea Michele is the latest star to rally against the use of horse-drawn carriages in New York, calling for fans to boycott the city's Central Park tradition. The actress is fronting a new advertisement for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), highlighting the alleged neglect and harsh conditions in which the animals are kept.
In the commercial, Michele says, "Imagine for a moment that you're forced to do hard physical labor all day, seven days a week, whether it's sweltering hot or freezing cold outside. At the end of the day, instead of relaxing on an easy chair or sleeping in a comfortable bed, you're locked in a tiny closet all night long. That's what it's like for horses who are forced to pull carriages in New York City."
"After a long day of hauling heavy tourists and being forced to breathe exhaust fumes, these horses must walk through miles of dangerous traffic and climb up steep ramps to reach the upper floors of the multi-story midtown stables where they're kept when they're not working. These stables would become death traps if a fire broke out."
"Horses in the carriage industry are deprived of everything that makes their lives worth living. Don't get taken for a ride. Please boycott horse-drawn carriages." British funnyman Ricky Gervais and veteran actress Joanna Lumley have also called for a ban.
More Lea Michele News
- MTV VMAs 2016: Drake Presents Rihanna With Video Vanguard Award
- MTV VMAs 2016: Jimmy Fallon Appears Onstage as Ryan Lochte, Throws Major Shade at Him
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Leads Full List of Winners With Six Trophies
- MTV VMAs 2016: Future Performs 'F**k Up Some Commas', Nick Jonas Brings 'Bacon'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Reenacts 'Lemonade' Visuals, Britney Spears Slays 'Make Me'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Alicia Keys Goes Make Up Free as She Honors MLK With a Poem
- MTV VMAs 2016: Kanye West Debuts 'Fade' Music Video, Talks About Taylor Swift in Speech
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Not Married Despite That Ring on Her Finger