Video: Lea Michele Urges People to Boycott Horse-Drawn Carriages
"Glee" star Lea Michele is the latest star to rally against the use of horse-drawn carriages in New York, calling for fans to boycott the city's Central Park tradition. The actress is fronting a new advertisement for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), highlighting the alleged neglect and harsh conditions in which the animals are kept.
In the commercial, Michele says, "Imagine for a moment that you're forced to do hard physical labor all day, seven days a week, whether it's sweltering hot or freezing cold outside. At the end of the day, instead of relaxing on an easy chair or sleeping in a comfortable bed, you're locked in a tiny closet all night long. That's what it's like for horses who are forced to pull carriages in New York City."
"After a long day of hauling heavy tourists and being forced to breathe exhaust fumes, these horses must walk through miles of dangerous traffic and climb up steep ramps to reach the upper floors of the multi-story midtown stables where they're kept when they're not working. These stables would become death traps if a fire broke out."
"Horses in the carriage industry are deprived of everything that makes their lives worth living. Don't get taken for a ride. Please boycott horse-drawn carriages." British funnyman Ricky Gervais and veteran actress Joanna Lumley have also called for a ban.
More Lea Michele News
- Michelle Rodriguez Threatens to Quit 'Fast and Furious' Franchise Over Its Depiction of Women
- Paris Hilton and Chris Zylka Are Reportedly Getting Engaged Soon
- Missing the Kids, Brad Pitt Urges Angelina Jolie to Have Family Reunion
- Watch Nick Jonas' Calvin Klein-Esque Video for 'Remember I Told You' Ft. Anne-Marie and Mike Posner
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Rachel Ends Lee-Kenny Feud, Sends Home Six Guys
- Report: Rob Kardashian Says He Pays All of Blac Chyna's Bills
- 'America's Got Talent' Week 5: Guy Sings Whitney Houston's 'I Have Nothing' Like It's Nothing
- Remy Ma Totally Expects Nicki Minaj's Diss at NBA Awards