Soulja Boy Takes Credit for Willow Smith's 'Whip My Hair'
Rapper Soulja Boy has sparked controversy in the world of Twitter.com after declaring he is the man responsible for the catchy lyrics to Willow Smith's hit song WHIP MY HAIR. The "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" hitmaker, real name DeAndre Way, took to the microblogging site on Sunday, January 2 and took credit for the track, which has catapulted Hollywood star Will Smith's 10-year-old daughter into the pop charts.
Referring to a snippet from his 2009 single "Turn My Sway On", he wrote, "YES ITS TRUE I WROTE "WHIP MY HAIR" FOR WILLOW SMITH. THATS WHY SHE SAYS HOP OUT THE BED TURN MY SWAG ON. WE GETTING $$$ 2011 NO GAMES (sic)." The hip-hop star's claim immediately came under scrutiny when it was retweeted by followers across the world - because songwriting team Ronald Jackson and Janae Rockwell are listed as the brains behind "Whip My Hair".
Smith's representatives had yet to comment on Soulja Boy's boast as WENN went to press. However, there may be an ounce of truth to Soulja Boy's claim after all - he is reported to have trademarked the phrase, "Turn my swag on", meaning Smith's song producers would have had to compensate the rapper for using the wording.
- Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Bring 'Camp Rock' Back to D.C. Concert. See Their Onstage Reunion
- Is Lindsay Lohan Really Pregnant? See Picture of Her Smoking in Sardinia
- Heath Ledger's Dad Blames Son for His Tragic Death: 'It Was Totally His Fault'
- Spidey's Suit Will Have New Abilities in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Mr. Robot 2.05 Preview: This Is What You Wanted
- JoJo Was Forced to Inject Herself to Lose Weight Fast
- Calvin Harris Is Avoiding Kanye West Collab Amid Taylor Swift Feud
- 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life' Gets First Teaser and Premiere Date