Gucci Mane Undergoes Mental Evaluation and Faces Prison
Rapper Gucci Mane has been admitted to a mental health facility to determine whether he is fit to face prosecution for a parole violation. The troubled star, real name Radric Davis, was already on probation for previously breaching the terms of his parole, stemming from a 2005 assault conviction, when his car was pulled over by police in his native Atlanta, Georgia in November 2010.
He was booked on obstruction and traffic charges after he was allegedly spotted driving recklessly, but prosecutors spared him more legal hassle and dropped the case against him. However, Mane is still being punished for his run-in with the law - on Monday, January 3, a Fulton County Superior Court judge recommended the rapper serve a year in prison for failing to adhere to the rules of his probation as a result of the traffic arrest, reports AllHipHop.com.
Mane's attorney had pleaded for some leniency and asked he be placed on house arrest, but the judge rejected the argument and the star now faces a maximum 17-month sentence if he is found guilty. However, the rapper could still land a lucky escape - according to TMZ.com, he filed a Special Plea of Mental Incompetency document, claiming he was in no state to "intelligently participate in the probation revocation hearing".
The judge granted the request for psychological testing and submitted him to an undisclosed health clinic, where he will remain for mental evaluation until his next hearing on January 24. His lawyer, Michael Holmes, tells XXLmag.com, "The court ordered Mr. Davis into the custody of a medical treatment facility, pending a revocation hearing later this month."
Holmes refused to address the exact reason for the treatment, insisting that information was "confidential", although Mane is rumored to have checked into rehab last summer to deal with cocaine addiction.
It's the latest legal setback for Mane - he was arrested in December last year following a police raid on his pal Waka Flocka Flame's house in Georgia. He was detained and questioned over allegations of drug and illegal weapons possession but was subsequently allowed to walk free and was not charged with any crime.
More Gucci Mane News
- Corey Gamble Reportedly Cheats on Kris Jenner With Kourtney Kardashian - Is It True?
- She's Scarily Skinny! Janice Dickinson Looks Thinner Amid Health Crisis
- Drake Blocks Ariana Grande and Blake Shelton From Billboard 200's No. 1
- Bella Hadid Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Racy Bikini. See the Pic!
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Cradle Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Baby During Brunch
- Jeff Bridges Joins 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle'
- Demi Lovato Mourning Her Great-Grandma's Death. Read Her Touching Tribute
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Party in Las Vegas, Talk About Wedding Plans