'Baker Street' Singer Gerry Rafferty Died Due to Liver Failure
Gerry Rafferty, the man behind hits like "Stuck in the Middle with You" and "Baker Street", has died, aged 63. The Scottish musician passed away from liver failure on Tuesday, January 4 after a long battle with alcoholism. Rafferty fell ill in November 2010 and was hooked up to a life-support machine after he was admitted to hospital.
His family members were told he had little chance of survival, but his health improved slightly over Christmas, and Rafferty died at his home with his daughter, Martha, by his bedside. The singer began his career as a busker, before forming folk group the Humblebums with comedian Billy Connolly. He rose to fame in the 1970s with Stealers Wheel and enjoyed solo success when the group disbanded in 1975.
His Stealers Wheel hit "Stuck in the Middle with You" has been recorded by the Eagles of Death Metal, Michael Buble and Sheryl Crow, among others, and the song was also used as the soundtrack to a gripping torture scene in Quentin Tarantino's 1992 film "Reservoir Dogs".
But his biggest hit was 1978's "Baker Street", which became a worldwide smash. Rafferty also enjoyed success as a record producer - he co-produced the Proclaimers acclaimed 1987 debut album "This Is the Story". His funeral in London later this month is expected to be a star-studded affair - his celebrity fans include Sir Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton.
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle
- Salazar's Grudge Against Jack Sparrow Is Explained in 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' New TV Spot
- Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez May Need to Postpone Their Wedding Plan. Find Out Why
- 'American Horror Story: Roanoke' Cast Dishes on Lady GaGa's Possible Return and More
- Artist of the Week: Jackie Evancho
- Traumatized Kim Kardashian Seeks Therapy After Paris Robbery
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Exchange Sweet Gaze While Leaving Church Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- 'Venom Carnage' Is Listed as Horror Sci-Fi, Production Date Is Revealed