Jay-Z's Broadway Production 'Fela!' Moved to Nigeria
Jay-Z's Broadway musical "Fela!", about famed musician and activist Fela Kuti, is heading to the late star's native Nigeria. The Tony Award-winning show, which is currently starring Patti LaBelle in the role of Fela's mother, closed on Broadway on Sunday, January 2 night after 13 months in the Big Apple.
Now Edward Tyler Nahem, who co-produced the Broadway run with Jay-Z and Will Smith, is taking the production to the Nigerian capital of Lagos after proving its draw by bringing big names to its audience. Nahem tells the New York Post, "Fela Kuti was to the music of the last 40 years what Picasso was to art in the 20th century."
Superstars including Oprah Winfrey, Sting, Madonna, Beyonce Knowles, Mick Jagger, Aretha Franklin, Bruce Springsteen, Prince and Denzel Washington have all been spotted watching the show during its New York run.
More Jay-Z News
- Miranda Lambert Already Plans to Get Married to Anderson East?
- New 'Max Steel' Trailer Highlights the Superhero's Origin
- Selena Gomez Reportedly Enters Rehab After Drug Abuse due to Christina Grimmie's Death
- Rick Ross Is Gearing Up for His Next Collab With Skrillex
- 'America's Got Talent' First Five Finalists of Season 21 Revealed
- Chris Brown Accuser Told Her Friend Singer's 'About to Go Down' After Alleged Gun Incident
- 'Game of Thrones' Casts First New Addition for Season 7
- P. Diddy Teases Snippet of Cassie's New Single 'Make Up'