Jay-Z's Broadway Production 'Fela!' Moved to Nigeria
Jay-Z's Broadway musical "Fela!", about famed musician and activist Fela Kuti, is heading to the late star's native Nigeria. The Tony Award-winning show, which is currently starring Patti LaBelle in the role of Fela's mother, closed on Broadway on Sunday, January 2 night after 13 months in the Big Apple.
Now Edward Tyler Nahem, who co-produced the Broadway run with Jay-Z and Will Smith, is taking the production to the Nigerian capital of Lagos after proving its draw by bringing big names to its audience. Nahem tells the New York Post, "Fela Kuti was to the music of the last 40 years what Picasso was to art in the 20th century."
Superstars including Oprah Winfrey, Sting, Madonna, Beyonce Knowles, Mick Jagger, Aretha Franklin, Bruce Springsteen, Prince and Denzel Washington have all been spotted watching the show during its New York run.
More Jay-Z News
- 'The Walking Dead' Was Supposed to End in Alexandria, but It Has Changed
- Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Movie Casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- Video: Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift While Crashing Drake's Concert
- Ben Affleck Risks His Life in New 'The Accountant' Trailer
- An Uber Driver Failing to Recognize Lorde Brags About Another Celebrity Passenger
- Scott Disick and Khloe Kardashian Make Fun of Dating Rumors While Posing for a Selfie
- Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Bring 'Camp Rock' Back to D.C. Concert. See Their Onstage Reunion
- Is Lindsay Lohan Really Pregnant? See Picture of Her Smoking in Sardinia