Jay-Z's Broadway Production 'Fela!' Moved to Nigeria
Jay-Z's Broadway musical "Fela!", about famed musician and activist Fela Kuti, is heading to the late star's native Nigeria. The Tony Award-winning show, which is currently starring Patti LaBelle in the role of Fela's mother, closed on Broadway on Sunday, January 2 night after 13 months in the Big Apple.
Now Edward Tyler Nahem, who co-produced the Broadway run with Jay-Z and Will Smith, is taking the production to the Nigerian capital of Lagos after proving its draw by bringing big names to its audience. Nahem tells the New York Post, "Fela Kuti was to the music of the last 40 years what Picasso was to art in the 20th century."
Superstars including Oprah Winfrey, Sting, Madonna, Beyonce Knowles, Mick Jagger, Aretha Franklin, Bruce Springsteen, Prince and Denzel Washington have all been spotted watching the show during its New York run.
More Jay-Z News
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Are Spotted on Movie Date in Chicago
- Mac Miller Wants to Cancel His Tour to Be by Ariana Grande's Side After Concert Bombing
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' New Vanity Fair Covers Offer New Look at Cast Members
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Sweet Picture With Alex Rodriguez, Dubs Him Her Man Crush
- Jimmy Kimmel Predicts Rachel Lindsay's 'The Bachelorette' Final 3
- Rain and Kim Tae Hee Are Expecting Their First Child
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Feud With Adam Lambert: 'This Is Completely Entertainment'
- SISTAR Disbands After 7 Years, Members Pen Heartfelt Handwritten Letters to Fans