Jay-Z's Broadway Production 'Fela!' Moved to Nigeria
Jay-Z's Broadway musical "Fela!", about famed musician and activist Fela Kuti, is heading to the late star's native Nigeria. The Tony Award-winning show, which is currently starring Patti LaBelle in the role of Fela's mother, closed on Broadway on Sunday, January 2 night after 13 months in the Big Apple.
Now Edward Tyler Nahem, who co-produced the Broadway run with Jay-Z and Will Smith, is taking the production to the Nigerian capital of Lagos after proving its draw by bringing big names to its audience. Nahem tells the New York Post, "Fela Kuti was to the music of the last 40 years what Picasso was to art in the 20th century."
Superstars including Oprah Winfrey, Sting, Madonna, Beyonce Knowles, Mick Jagger, Aretha Franklin, Bruce Springsteen, Prince and Denzel Washington have all been spotted watching the show during its New York run.
More Jay-Z News
- Ben Affleck Says Taylor Swift Was Like 'God' When His Kids Met Her
- Kendall Jenner Unveils New Lip Tattoo
- 'The Purge' Heading to TV as 'Interwoven Anthology'
- Cashmere Cat Releases New Single 'Trust Nobody' Ft. Selena Gomez
- Rob Kardashian Regrets Tweeting Kylie Jenner's Number: 'It Was Miscommunication'
- Kristen Stewart Spooked by Ghost in 'Personal Shopper' Trailer
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Reach Temporary Custody Deal That Includes Family Counseling
- Fifth Harmony's Ally Brooke Falls After Ambushed by Fan on Stage