Jay-Z's Broadway Production 'Fela!' Moved to Nigeria
Jay-Z's Broadway musical "Fela!", about famed musician and activist Fela Kuti, is heading to the late star's native Nigeria. The Tony Award-winning show, which is currently starring Patti LaBelle in the role of Fela's mother, closed on Broadway on Sunday, January 2 night after 13 months in the Big Apple.
Now Edward Tyler Nahem, who co-produced the Broadway run with Jay-Z and Will Smith, is taking the production to the Nigerian capital of Lagos after proving its draw by bringing big names to its audience. Nahem tells the New York Post, "Fela Kuti was to the music of the last 40 years what Picasso was to art in the 20th century."
Superstars including Oprah Winfrey, Sting, Madonna, Beyonce Knowles, Mick Jagger, Aretha Franklin, Bruce Springsteen, Prince and Denzel Washington have all been spotted watching the show during its New York run.
More Jay-Z News
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Jason Statham Welcome Baby Boy. See His First Picture!
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting